GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

48 State Group Project

Started by John_M, February 10, 2009, 11:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n2stitch

I wanted to jump back in here, not to steer the conversation away from contours, to say that my poor old computer does not have near 500G free disk space, more like 40G, but I will still be happy to share any of MO data.  I can burn it to DVDs and forward it on.

Now back to our regularly scheduled contour interval program......

Lalita

savage

I agree we need to vary the contours within the US and even within a state. The coastal area of Maine is pretty flat but when you move West and North West it becomes steeper.

-Oz-

I'd assume we would vary by 100k quad since its easy to do but I'm not sure how to figure out what to do; a database could store it easily enough and process accordingly with fwtools since its easy to change the contour interval on the command line; but I have no automated way to decide the intervals.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

Varing the CI by 100k is what I did in the transparent contour mapset.  My previous post(s) on the CI used on the 24Ks was to use that info to help determine an appropriate CI.

jbensman

I have lots of trail data for lots of states.  For several states I gathered all I could find online.  For IL and MO I have lots and lots that I have GPSed.  You are welcome to use any of my data-I can send mp files.

dhisum_dhisum

First, John, you are My HERO and I do not say this lightly. Even from the size of the map, one can see that this is almost twice the size of the previously published chunks (SE, SC or even SW USA) which shows how difficult it was to create this entire section.

Now something interesting that I noted in the NW Topo maps. In the top corner, it does not show the ocean in blue color, the ocean is shown the same color as land although shorelines and contours are just fine. Additionally, the columbia river at the intersection of I-90 vanishes at the dam although the contours are there. It then reappears at the other dam. I guess there is not much water in the area between two dams? Addtionally, the puget sound ocean to the left of seattle again does not show in blue color and instead shows up the color of land. The issue is interesting because these exact problems are present in even the WA topo map that I created. Makes me think that either USGS data itself has problems there or the tools we are using screw up on these areas.

Either ways, Thanks a lot!!

-Oz-

or you don't have an ocean file?

For florida I found that the NHD area files contained some ocean but I had to draw large swaths of ocean by hand to cover to the edge of my 100K area and include my depth data.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

John_M

Next time there will be a ocean file. The water data is NHD and only NHD.

dhisum_dhisum   The Columbia river is not a river to vanish. Something is off with the data need to look at that.

dhisum_dhisum

Oz, is there a step by step guide on how I can manually create the oceans file. Or better yet, is there a source from which I can get the ocean file? John, how do I go about getting the data from you so I can additionally help out? I have now enough space and computing power and the right cgpsmapper version to do the processing?

-Oz-

Which state do you want ocean for?
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

dhisum_dhisum

To begin with I just want washington state as I have data for it. I would appreciate if I could also know how to get/create the data myself.

magellan

I know I am new, so i can not help at all (mainly because I am still new to all the terminology - but I am studying). I just want to cheer you all on. This is an amazing project you all are on, and I encourage oyu all the way. When I have read up enough and feel there is anyway to contribute, I would love to help with what I can. Good Luck!

magellan

I noticed that in N38 15 11.8 W109 51 47.8 area of Utah that the contour lines at White crack are off anywhere from three to nine feet. To me that is pretty darn accurate, but in case you wish perfection, I thought I'd point those out to be adjusted. This project is great. I hope I can learn fast enough to help out.