GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Missouri Topo

Started by Jbradthomas59, February 28, 2009, 07:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbradthomas59

I downloaded Missouri topo and unziped. Now how do I view the files with Mapsource?

maps4gps

You would have to use MapSetToolKit to install them in MapSource.  Oz will probably create the auto install version today.  Perhaps I need to say something about that in my initial upload to the gpsfiledepot.

Jbradthomas59

Thanks maps4gps. I'am newbie trying to learn.

-Oz-

I'm downloading Missouri and Oklahoma now and will create installers.

maps4gps: THink you could add land usage if I provide a shapefile with all the major types for the country?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

If you do not want to waite for the version with auto-installer, or not want to download the mapset again; get MapSetToolKit from cypherman1.googlepages.com/  It is a DOS/command prompt program.
1. Create a folder for the mapset files - i.e. "Program Files \ Missouri Topo"
2. In that folder, unzip the files
3. In a CommandPromp/DOS window, start MapSetTookKit
4. On the right, in the Mapset installed window; click on the "Install" button  (under Update list and to the left of check registry)
5. "Install a existing Mapset" window appears.  Fourth line down is "TDB file:"  Click on the box at its far right "..."  Navigate to the folder where you unziped the mapset files and click on "MTI_MO"
It and the path will be placed in the box.
6.  Next line down "Overview Map" - again use the box at its far right.  Click on  "MTI_MO"; it will be at the end of the 4xxxxxxx files.
7.  Go to the third line - "Registery name"  and type "Missouri Topo", or whatever you wish to name the dataset.  Do NOT push 'enter', etc.
8.  Click on the "Install" button at the bottom of the "Install a existing mapset" window.
9.  "Install a Mapset" window opens and says "Complet".  Click "OK".  You will see the mapset in the "Mapset installed" window.  Close MapSetTookKit by clicking on the "X" in the upper right box.
Close the DOS/Command Prompt window.
10. Start MapSource.  In the upper left, third line down, is the "Select a Mapset" box. Click on the down arrow and it will list all the mapsets you have installed.  Click on the one you want, and the
mapset will display in the big main window to the right.  Depending on the view scale you will either be looking at the preview map or one or more of the detailed/main map files.  The gpsfiledepot has a tutorial on how to load maps to the GPSr.

NOTE: the above procedure is for use with mapsets having the 'preview' .img and .tdb files already built.

-Oz-

I would go with maps4gps' route for now; I just got called into work so it'll be 12hrs before my installer versions are available.

And i'll be adding that lesson (with some screenshots) to the loading maps tutorial.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Actually; I'm uploading the installer now; so when the date for map last updated changes that means that the installer version is up.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

Quote from: -Oz- on February 28, 2009, 11:31:08 AM
maps4gps: THink you could add land usage if I provide a shapefile with all the major types for the country?

Oz,

I was once at a meeting after a printers convension and they left notepads printed with 'TH' in gray followed by 'ink' in black.

Do you mean land usage as in LULC?  Did someone find vector files for the 2001 data raster data, or is this converted USGS DLG 250K files from the 1970's??

It would likely require a major modification/redo of the way I am processing files for the current mapset(s).  I have created over 16,000 15x15' sets of shape files to cover the 48 states.  Each set has a line-contour, line-planimetric, area, and point file.  I am running a dbase program against a dbase file which creates a Global Mapper script file to build .mp files using data from one or more 15x15 quads; to produce a .img of around 1Mb. 

Could this data be added as a transparent layer?   I (some others do and some do not) find large colored polygons make it harder to read the fine detail on the GPSr. 

Jbradthomas59

Thanks Oz and maps4gps. I'am downloading again with installer. Reading tutorials and trying to learn as I go.

-Oz-

maps4gps; that is a clever THink advertisement.

I can totally see why you wouldn't be able to change the process.  I don't think it could be a standard transparent overlay; but I'll have to do some experimenting.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

Oz,

What is the land usage dataset you are interested in?