GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

USB Connections

Started by [email protected], August 12, 2012, 05:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

My GPS has a micro USB connector for power. Does anyone know if all Micro USB connectors have the same pinouts? What I am asking is this.... If I have a power supply to charge my phone with a Micro USB connector can I also plug it into my GPS to charge?

I wired in my GPS using an old phone charger cord. I used the correct polarity, but now, and after hooking them up to this cord, neither of my Garmins work.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff

SmugWimp

Yes,

Your power adaptor can charge the unit, your data cables should be able to connect the unit.

Micro USB data/power connections are the same throughout devices that use them.

(More data at http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml)

Cheers!

-- Smug

In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.

Boyd

I have done this with various USB adapters myself without problems. If using a Garmin handheld, you might need to set it for "spanner" mode though to prevent the unit from thinking you've connected it to a computer. It depends on the wiring in the adapter, some of them look like a computer to the GPS, others don't.

But I've never heard of an adapter frying a GPS like you describe. There could be something wrong with yours. Also, you mentioned "micro USB". Did you really mean that? All of Garmin's outdoor/handheld models use mini USB, not micro. A few of the higher end Nuvi devices (3400/3500/3700) have micro USB connectors. They are not so common on other devices.

What GPS are you using?

SmugWimp

Boyd,

Is there a 'spanner' mode setting on the Nuvis (1390/1490) that you are aware of?

I have a few car adaptors that act like computer connections, rather than generic power...  I thought it was just the adaptors, but I'd love to use them in place of the traffic power cables if possible.

Cheers!

-- Smug

In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.

Boyd

Nope, on the Nuvi series you must use a power adapter that has the correct kind of wiring or it will go into USB disk mode. I got a cheap adapter at Radio Shack and another at Staples several years ago and they work fine. They were specifically advertised as GPS power adaptors though. Radio Shack let me bring my GPS into the store and give it a try before buying actually.