GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

CN Disappeared!

Started by trapperrick, August 06, 2012, 12:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapperrick

I was heading off to work this morning and like always I plugged in the nuvi 1300 to follow during my 100 mile commute. Well, it just kept shutting down I got frustrated with it and turned it off until I made it to work. When I turned it back on, I had a blank screen, I mean nothing! I was in Morgantown, WV and scrolled to view a larger area, I noticed I 68 and I 79 showed up on the screen but that was it. I checked the maps page and the only thing that was showing was the Norteast topo I downloaded from here, city navigator was totally gone! Would you have any idea what may have happened?

Seldom

No clue, but did you have NE Topo and CNNANT running successfully at the same time for a while, or did you just load NE topo and CNNANT disappeared?  Do you see CNNANT on your map selection screen on the nuvi?  If not, hook up to a PC or Mac and see if you can find any 1.2GB files on the nuvi, probably named something like gmapprom.img?

Boyd

Unfortunately, it's not unheard of for City Navigator to become corrupted and unusable. You do have a backup of the device, right? If so, you should be able to copy gmapprom.img back to the invisible .System folder on the unit.

If you don't have a backup, and your unit is out of warranty, you may have a big problem though. One thing you could try would be a hard reset. Instructions for this as well as backing up here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=24536

Quote from: Seldom on August 06, 2012, 02:04:27 PMhook up to a PC or Mac and see if you can find any 1.2GB files on the nuvi, probably named something like gmapprom.img?

You will need to reveal the hidden .System folder in order to check for the existence of the map file. You will find instructions for doing that at the link above as well.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on August 06, 2012, 02:35:15 PM
If you don't have a backup, and your unit is out of warranty, you may have a big problem though.

Could he just buy another copy of CNNANT and install it?

Boyd

I suppose, but you'd have to wonder about the cause of the problem. If it's a bad memory chip, you could be headed for more trouble. The 1300 is a bottom of the line unit, it isn't even worth the $80 that the new map would cost. IMO, if you can't find a fix it would be better to just replace it. The 1300 is kind of an oddball with some features randomly stripped out for marketing purposes. For example, it doesn't even display the speed limit. For under $100 you should be able do much better in today's market.

trapperrick

Thanks guys. I do have a back up, my nuvi 500 I use on the 4 wheeler,  also have a super old  nuvi 200 that works great but the maps are way outdated.

Yes, I did realize the 1300 was a "cheap" Christmas sale draw item from about a year and a half ago. The topo worked great up until this happened. It will show the map then as I'm driving the the blank space will show at the top of the unit, the map will be fine until I get into the "blank space" then the unit shuts down.

I drive about 43.000 miles annually around 5 different states, so, I guess I should look into a good unit that I can trust. I love the 500 but that is used mainly off road. So, I guess I'll check the Garmin website and see what they have.

Boyd

Just to clarify, by "backup" I meant a copy of all the files that were originally on your Nuvi 1300. But it's also good to have another device to use also.  :)

trapperrick

Quote from: Boyd on August 06, 2012, 07:03:17 PM
Just to clarify, by "backup" I meant a copy of all the files that were originally on your Nuvi 1300. But it's also good to have another device to use also.  :)
I misunderstood as far as the back up goes. No I did not back it up, and did not know anything about it untill I read the tutorial you posted Boyd. Thanks for showing me that as I will have to do that with the next unit I get.

I've had the northeast topo for quite a while and ran both city navigator and the topo at the same time for as long as I had the unit. When city navagator disappeared the topo was still on but as I'm driving a blank screen will show at the top and slowly move down as I'm driving, as soon as the "vehicle" gets to the blank area, the unit shuts down. If I leave it off for a few minutes then turn it on, the topo will be back up.

I tried the hard reset as well, that did not work. Well, I guess I could sell it on ebay for a couple of bucks, I can always sell broke electronics for parts and usually get more than I expect. Thanks again for the help guys!