GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

City Navigator to my Garmin Montana

Started by the wanderer, August 02, 2012, 01:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the wanderer

Purchased and attempted to load City Navigator North America to my Garmin Montana but could not get the "detail" as displayed on the disc files.  Is there a trick to getting the detail?

Boyd

It works fine on my Montana. But not sure if I understand what "the detail" means. Are you sure that you're really looking at City Navigator and not at the (very crude) Montana basemap? Your statement that you "attempted to load" it makes me think that it might have failed.

How did you purchase? As a download from Garmin? Connect the GPS to your computer and look inside the Garmin folder. What files with a .img extension do you see? The full version of City Navigator is large - about 1.4GB (maybe 1.2GB if you purchased the "Lower 48" version).

If you do see a big file like this, then start up the Montana and go to the map screen. Tap the three-bar icon then Setup Map > Select Map. What maps are listed there and which are enabled? Make sure that City Navigator is enabled. You can disable the Worldwide DEM Basemap if you like (I have).

the wanderer

Thanks Boyd! I bought the Garmin CD, and it came with all of North America (Canada / USA / Mexico). The detail I was refering to was when navigator is viewed in MapSource all streets are shown (at least in the city we live in...Calgary Ab.  Yet the version that wound up on my Montana only showed the main roads, no matter how far I zoomed in! If an address was plugged in that was off the main roads, it could not locate it!  The basic worldwide Basemap is disabled.
I read somewhere that if the unit doesn't have the required disc space the program will only load cursory program info???  Is there a way to delete maps like worldwide basemap?

Boyd

The Montana has 4GB of internal memory and all of City Navigator is only 1.4 GB. So that is not likely to be your problem. I suspect you just didn't install the whole map.

Read my last post again and answer the questions I asked, then we should be able to figure this out. :)

QuoteConnect the GPS to your computer and look inside the Garmin folder. What files with a .img extension do you see? (and how large are the files)?

start up the Montana and go to the map screen. Tap the three-bar icon then Setup Map > Select Map. What maps are listed there and which are enabled?