GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Anyone know when Thailand will have maps available?

Started by fiddleheadpa, June 08, 2012, 10:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddleheadpa

I see a lot of countries listed with topo maps available.
Some big, some small.
Was really hoping to get something for Thailand, as now, I only have the street (road) mapping.
Do they add countries often?
Anyone know?
Thanks in advance.
fiddlehead

maps4gps

If you are refering to my World Topo - Eastern; the area of coverage is from -30 longitude to +180 longitude which includes Thailand.  Thailand is one a few countries which are not in the dropdown country list used for locating a mapset.
Be aware that the digital data for that mapset was created nearly 2 decades ago from 1:1,000,000 scale source paper charts - that is one inch on the map represents about 16 miles on the ground.

-Oz-

Thailand is now an available country with World Topo - Eastern included.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

fiddleheadpa

Thanks guys (or gals)
Downloading it now.
I'll try to let you know how it works out.
I'm designing a hiking trail here in Phuket, Thailand.
Been working on it for 6 years now (chopping through jungle, etc.)

fiddleheadpa

No, that's no good.  The scale is terrible. It has horizontal lines through it everywhere distorting the little bit of topo I can make out in the background. 
It's a joke really.
Unless I did something wrong.   
Thanks anyway

Boyd

You should understand that there isn't a "they" here. It's just a collection of work by different authors, and each person makes maps according to their own interests and abilities. So the maps tend to be US centric.

You might consider learning how to make your own map and then post it here for the benefit of others. The Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) provided elevation data for most of the planet, and there are various tools that can be used to turn this into elevation contours for a topo map: http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/

Everybody wants free stuff, but only a few are willing to invest the time to provide it.

maps4gps

I doubt a 1:1,000,000 scale would be of much use for that.

Any 1:100,000 +- scale paper map available for the area? 
The newer Garmin GPSrs will display a 'custom (raster) image'  of a printed map.
A LANDSAT image can also be displayed that way.

A 1:1,000,000 scale map is a 1:1,000,000 scale map.  Currently that is the most detailed
world wide souce data I know of that is publically available. 

I see a number of Thailand maps for Garmin in a web search for such, and some appear to be free. I did not see the site I remember from 2 +- years ago which was providing free Garmin GPSr maps for most SE Asian countries.  I think it began with an 'm'.  Perhaps someone else remembres it and will post.

As it soundls like you are a resident of Tahiland, ask the various levels of government what they can provide.

maps4gps

Quote from: maps4gps on June 09, 2012, 08:43:44 AM
I doubt a 1:1,000,000 scale would be of much use for that.

Any 1:100,000 +- scale paper map available for the area? 
The newer Garmin GPSrs will display a 'custom (raster) image'  of a printed map.
A LANDSAT image can also be displayed that way.

A 1:1,000,000 scale map is a 1:1,000,000 scale map.  Currently that is the most detailed
world wide souce data I know of that is publically available. 

The horizontal lines are likely showing an area of landcover and/or vegetation.  I and some others agree with you that it detracts from the clarity of the 'base' data.  Some others have posted that without it the mapset is usless to them.  It is in the source data, so I left it in. 

I see a number of Thailand maps for Garmin in a web search for such, and some appear to be free. I did not see the site I remember from 2 +- years ago which was providing free Garmin GPSr maps for most SE Asian countries.  I think it began with an 'm'.  Perhaps someone else remembres it and will post.

As it soundls like you are a resident of Tahiland, ask the various levels of government what they can provide.

Seldom

As it sounds like you are a resident of Thailand, ask the various levels of government what they can provide.
I don't think that's very likely.  I found one site in Thai which I couldn't link to, but GISdatadepot had this:
http://data.geocomm.com/catalog/TH/datalist.html
I figure it's that or SRTM. 
Using JOSM, mkgmap, and SRTM2OSM the OP may be able to work something out if he's willing to make it himself.

maps4gps

Quote from: Seldom on June 09, 2012, 09:21:35 AM
As it sounds like you are a resident of Thailand, ask the various levels of government what they can provide.
I don't think that's very likely.
Neither do I.  However on the one hand visitors to, residents and governments of various countries expect Americas to pay for collecting and provideing geographic information on areas which interest them; and on the hand while wanting tourist and aid dollars consider any useful geographic information on their country a state secret.

maps4gps

I was thinking of malsingmaps.com; however, I just got a message saying that the' domain has expired'.

SmugWimp

Malsingmaps' site worked for me, but they may have renewed in a hurry.

Echoing Seldom's comments. They have Thailand maps in the user contribution portion of Malsingmaps' forums. (and re-echoing, you have to be a registered member. Not a biggie, but you need to do it to get access)

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=17

Cheers!

-- Smug
In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.