GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

A few questions about showing gpx-track on maps

Started by larshgf, June 04, 2012, 04:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larshgf

I have imported my kmz rastermap and I can show it in BaseCamp. I have a few question (numbered):

(1)
Wonder if it is possible to show a gpx-track on top of a kmz-rastermap in BaseCamp
(2)
Do you know any other program(s) wich can show my tracks ? I does not necessarily have to be on rastermaps.
(3)
Is it possible to show more than one track on a map? (My purpose is to see one/many tracks from a given area).
(4)
Also I am doubt about how to document my tracks with photos? The time on my etrex30 and my camera may differ one minute or so.

Greetings from Kokkari - Samos - Greece  :)
Lars

LIHIKER

Quote from: larshgf on June 04, 2012, 04:25:36 AM
I have imported my kmz rastermap and I can show it in BaseCamp. I have a few question (numbered):

(1)
Wonder if it is possible to show a gpx-track on top of a kmz-rastermap in BaseCamp
(2)
Do you know any other program(s) wich can show my tracks ? I does not necessarily have to be on rastermaps.
(3)
Is it possible to show more than one track on a map? (My purpose is to see one/many tracks from a given area).
(4)
Also I am doubt about how to document my tracks with photos? The time on my etrex30 and my camera may differ one minute or so.

Lars

Lars,

I would try to answer your questions:

1) Yes, you can have gpx tracks in BaseCamp that is on top of the kmz.

2) I use Google Earth is another program you can use with Kmz and gpx tracks. What I like about Google Earth is the 3D aspect of hike.

3) In both Google Earth and BaseCamp you can see multiple gpx at once. All you need to do is select the appropriate gpx.

4)I guess Google Earth and BaseCamp has the capabilities of Geo-tagging. I never use it myself.

hope it helps, Reinhard

Seldom

Quote from: larshgf on June 04, 2012, 04:25:36 AM
Glad you made it.

Regarding geotagging in BaseCamp.  Load a track. Select it with the Arrow tool or from the list manager so it is highlighted. From the menu Edit>Geotag Photos using Track. Browse to the folder with the photos and Continue (or whatever that Finish button is called.

One tip:  BaseCamp will need a precise time offset (to the minute or better) if your system clock  and camera timestamps don't agree.  An easy way to get it is to photograph the clock on you GPSr, and compare it with the timestamp of the photo.

Also, BaseCamp will only geotag JPG photos.  If you want to do it using your camera's native RAW format try GeoSetter.  The latest release is a Beta, but I've been using it a while and haven't had any problems.

larshgf

QuoteYes, you can have gpx tracks in BaseCamp that is on top of the kmz.

How do you manage to show both kmz-map and gpx-track?
If I have the kmz-map in BaseCamp and choose a gpx-track I get the simple worldmap as my map background and the fine kmz-map disappears!

LIHIKER

Quote from: larshgf on June 04, 2012, 08:04:11 AM
QuoteYes, you can have gpx tracks in BaseCamp that is on top of the kmz.

How do you manage to show both kmz-map and gpx-track?
If I have the kmz-map in BaseCamp and choose a gpx-track I get the simple worldmap as my map background and the fine kmz-map disappears!

In  BaseCamp, you need to place kmz in very top hierarchy folder.  When you select the top hierarchy folder, you will see the GPXs and KMZ.  At this point, you just select the GPX and BaseCamp will show both the GPX and KMZ.

Seldom

In BaseCamp, you can also select the track, copy it, then select the list with the KMZ in it and paste.  Lars, weren't you able to get your vector maps into BaseCamp?

larshgf

larshgf

QuoteLars, weren't you able to get your vector maps into BaseCamp?
I believe I did - Just tried to import my samos.img (which I use on my etrex) but this is not possible in BaseCamp. I'm sure there is another way around - just dont remember right now - the steep learning curve makes me miss some of the things along the way :-)

Seldom

You can't do it with a gmapsupp.img.  You need to compile a TDB and a mapbackground.img file.

java.exe -Xmx512M -enableassertions -jar "c:\program files\mkgmap\mkgmap.jar" --max-jobs=12 --ignore-osm-bounds --family-id=3151 --overview-mapname=YourMapNameHere --tdbfile --family-name="YourMapNameHere" --series-name="YourMapNameHere" *.img
pause

The code above should compile a TDB for a map called YourMapNameHere.  It needs to run from the folder in which you've put all the IMG files you want under that mapname..

larshgf

I have compiled the map and the result was many different files named samos.img, samos.MDX, samos.mp, samos.reg and samos.TDB.
In fact I dont know how to import these in BaseCamp because trying to do that dont give one of the above file suffixes?

Seldom

The "Map has TDB file" part of this tutorial covers the import pretty clearly.  If your Mapset name is samos, then the path to samos.tdb should go in the TDB file slot, and the path to samos.img should go in the overview map slot. Fill in the registry name with something like "samos".  The FamilyID should have filled itself in, as should the map directory.  I'm assuming here that all the files are in a single folder.  Don't worry about samos.reg.  It's only needed for a totally manual install.  A TYP file is optional, so don't worry if you don't have one of those either. And when selecting the overview map DON'T accidentally select samos_MDR.img.  That will crash mapsource.  No big deal, because you can easily uninstall with MapSetToolKit, but I hate those crash messages.