News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Installing new maps erases previous map

Started by jess340, March 10, 2012, 08:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jess340

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I hope someone can help. I recently bought a Garmin GPSMAP 62s and I am trying to upload topo maps on it on a micro SD card (16GB). I installed NorthEast Part 1-3 and SouthWest from GPSFileDeport to my BaseCamp ver. 3.3.1. I also use BaseCamp to install the maps on the SD card in my Garmin. However, when I install one map, say NE part 1, the one I installed previously disappears from the card (at least I do not see it in Garmin). How can I have two or more maps installed on the SD card? I keep installing the maps and keep on losing the previously installed one ... What am I doing wrong? I hope I am not limited to just one map installed on the unit ...

Many thanks for help.

Jessica

Seldom

Whenever BaseCamp sends a map to a GPSr (card or internal memory) it creates a file called "gmapsupp.img" in the Garmin folder (on card or internal memory) .  On a 62s, you need to rename that file to "somethingIcanrecognize".img or it will be overwritten by subsequent sends from BaseCamp.

You can also use BaseCamp(MapInstall) to send multiple mapsets as a single gmapsupp.img, but sending single mapsets and renaming them is simpler.

jess340

Thank you for the tip. It actually worked!  ;)

Do you know, by any chance, how to "select all" in BaseCamp when installing the maps on Garmin? Or do I need to select all those little rectangles manually?

Seldom

You should be able to "marquee" them.  Select one tile in one corner of the set and drag to the diagonally opposite corner of the set.

catrox75

Does that mean one needs to reinstall the previous map to GPS?

Seldom

Quote from: catrox75 on March 23, 2012, 06:40:32 PM
Does that mean one needs to reinstall the previous map to GPS?
Only if you haven't re-named it.  If it's named gmapsupp.img it will have been overwritten.

catrox75

How do I re-install it? I have an etrex 20 and Windows 7.

Seldom

Quote from: catrox75 on March 25, 2012, 04:45:32 PM
How do I re-install it? I have an etrex 20 and Windows 7.
Send one map to the unit.  It will be called gmapsupp.img.  Rename that to somethingelse.img (IMG extension is mandatory).  Send the next map it will also be called gmapsupp.img.  Rename it.  I guess you got your BaseCamp working?

catrox75

I cannot locate any map(s) called gmapsupp.img. There are only 123-9888-fltopo_gmap_install and 149-7720-georgia_topo_install.

Seldom

catrox75

I really don't mean/want to sound like an idiot, but I still can't find any file with that name.

Seldom

What filenames to you see in the \Garmin folder on your GPSr?  You need to connect it to a PC and view it as an external drive.

catrox75

Ok, thanks. I found and renamed it. I just had to know where to look.
I'll be making my donation now!

Seldom