GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Incorrect Map Name

Started by mikebsr, February 21, 2012, 10:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikebsr

I transfered the free Pennsylvania Topo Map to my garmin 62S and when I went to activate it on my gps I looked and the name that came up on my 62S was,   ( Trenton NJ (ws) Tre )    The map seems to be correct but the name wrong??????

Boyd

That's just the way it works. The whole map consists of a bunch of smaller "tiles" that each have their own names. The GPS is showing you a portion of the names of those tiles. On my Montana it will show that as well as any name I give to the actual map file, but I don't think the 62 series does that.

babj615

So, if you use MapSource instead of BaseCamp to send your maps to your GPSr, you have the option of changing the "Displayed Name" of the map on the GPSr.

Like This:

http://imageshack.us/f/823/loadmapsfrommapsourcead.png/
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

mikebsr

The name of the map shown on MapSource screen was correct before and after the copy but the name that was shown on the GPS was incorrect after the copy.    :o   Go Figure??

maps4gps

MS adds some of the quadrangle names to the mapset name.
Some of PA is covered on the USGS 100k Trenton, NJ quad.  I used the USGS 250k and 100k names to help users know which quads (of parts thereof) they have selected.
Which one(s) MS picks, I do not know.