GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Windows 7

Started by stupified, February 16, 2012, 01:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stupified

I just bought an oregon 450 & am trying to get 24k topo maps on it.  I tried downloading all the programs listed in the tutorials & couldn't get the map to show up in BaseCamp.  I eventually gave up & deleted everything & figured i would try it a 2nd time.  After downloading BaseCamp this time i got an error message indicating i need a different version of windows or something - Anyway, my question is --- I have Windows 7 Home Premium;  will this version of windows not support all this fancy (new to me) GPS stuff? 

Boyd

Basecamp is fully compatible with Windows 7, not sure what the problem is with your error. Did you actually uninstall Basecamp using the Programs and Features control panel, or did you just "delete everything" manually? Make sure you have properly uninstalled Basecamp, then go back and reinstall from Garmin's site.

There's an issue that is specific to the 64 bit version of Windows 7 that causes problems with certain maps here due to the way their installers were written. The work-around is here: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,2320.0.html

Indrid Cold

Quote from: stupified on February 16, 2012, 01:16:33 PM
I just bought an oregon 450 & am trying to get 24k topo maps on it.  I tried downloading all the programs listed in the tutorials & couldn't get the map to show up in BaseCamp.

You don't need all the programs in the tutorial to do what you want unless you are making your own maps. Is that the case here, because most of the maps have self installers.

stupified

Well, i guess i screwed up somewhere & yes i manually deleted the files..  I re-downloaded everything (BaseCamp, MyTrails, Topo Map series, MapSet tool kit, cgps mapper) & now when i run through the tutorial & try to install the maps in BaseCamp (using the MapSet tool kit) I get an error message that says "Family ID exist" ???  I thank you for your help, but i am about ready to throw this computer in the river!

stupified

I really just want to put topo maps on my gps & maybe be able to dump some waypoints & trails back onto the computer map.

Seldom

Remove mapsets by going to the Control Panel, opening the Uninstall Programs Window, find the mapset name, and uninstall.

stupified

Should i uninstall all those programs i downloaded?  Or just the mapset (which appears to be "within" MyTrails)??

Boyd

Quote from: stupified on February 16, 2012, 03:09:20 PM
Well, i guess i screwed up somewhere & yes i manually deleted the files.

Sorry, but yes you screwed up.  :) On Windows, you can't just start deleting files to remove programs or you will create problems because you may not delete all the components and the installer makes changes to the registry.

This is really much simpler than you're making it. You don't need mapsettoolkit or cgpsmapper. Those programs are only for people who are making their own maps. All you need is Basecamp and the actual maps you want to use.

These are the only tutorials you should be reading. Start with this one: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

Then see this when you're ready to send the map to the GPS: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/#pcbasecamp

I suggest you uninstall everything so you can start with a clean slate. THen reinstall basecamp and the maps.

Seldom

Quote from: stupified on February 16, 2012, 03:40:31 PM
Or just the mapset (which appears to be "within" MyTrails)??
I don't understand what you said here.

I'd find all the installers you downloaded including the BaseCamp installer. Get them out of the Recycle Bin and assume they're OK. Unless you have a working BaseCamp, uninstall it what remains of it in the Uninstall Programs window.  If it's working leave it.  If you can see any maps in BaseCamp leave them. Otherwise uninstall everything you can find. Re-install BaseCamp. Re-install My Trails. Re-install the rest of the maps you downloaded.

I think this would give you the "clean slate" Boyd mentions.

What maps did you download by the way?

Boyd

Also see the video tutorials linked to here, they will help get you up to speed on Basecamp: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,2722.0.html

stupified

Ok gents, thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot here tonight -- & my computer thanks you for keeping it out of the river (for the time being:)

stupified

Oh, it was the PA topo map series..

maps4gps

I would say the tutorial 'How To Load .img Files Into MapSource or BaseCamp With MapSetToolkit' is in the proper section (tutorials to help you use the maps) rather than '... make maps'.  With all the confusion, it might help if that tutorial had HUGH flashing red letters stating it was not appropriate to follow it for self-installing mapsets - and to do so would likely cause needless confusion.

-Oz-

I tweaked the .img mapsettoolkit tutorial to be even more noticeable that most people shouldn't be reading it.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Excellent.  But it doesn't flash, as maps4gps suggested. ;D