News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Google Earth to GPSMAP 60CSx?

Started by qivittoq74, February 11, 2012, 01:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qivittoq74

Hi guys.

This has probably been asked before, so forgive me for not reading through all topics/posts and since I'm far from used to use this I kindly ask for help.

Main wish is to create a route in GE and transfer it to my GPSmap 60Scx.

I created a route on GE 6.2.1.6014 (beta) by using the ruler. So my route is now created and I can see the red line as the route i GE.

Then I try so save this route as a *.kml file on my laptop.

Then I try to open it through Basecamp 3.2.2 but it says that it doesn't contain groundoverlays.

Then I try to convert the file from *.kml to *.gpx by using GPS Babel but it won't work! I suppose it might have something to do with the format of the input/ output file...? I can't find the *.kml format for the input file only the *.gpx for the output file. I think this I what I only need to figure out so can someone please tell me what input format (from the drop down list)I should use to make it work?

Indrid Cold

Boyd

You might have a look at ITN Converter: http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=2&lang=en

Garmin support has actually suggested this for converting routes to their format in the past.

Seldom

Quote from: qivittoq74 on February 11, 2012, 01:22:28 PM
Then I try to convert the file from *.kml to *.gpx by using GPS Babel but it won't work! I suppose it might have something to do with the format of the input/ output file...? I can't find the *.kml format for the input file only the *.gpx for the output file.
Select "Google Earth Keyhole Markup Language".  AFAIK GPSbabel won't do KMZ files (Zipped KMLs).  You need to unzip them with something like 7-Zip.

BobT

I do this all the time and have been asked several times so I made a screenshot video on how to do it.  You can download the video at the link below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mn54e4g0shxu80u

mrubs

Recently I checked it. It's great & helps me.

omid

Hi guys,
Can i transfer GE maps to my 60CSx.
You know i want  to have some GE pictures on my 60CSx then my 60CSx trace on these.
Is it possible? I kindly ask for help.

Seldom

GE images are raster graphics.  A 60CSX doesn't support raster graphics.  You can convert KML vector graphics to GPX using GPSBabel, and transfer those to your 60CSX.

Newer Garmin's (OR/DK and later) support raster graphics as Garmin Custom Maps, but you can't get GE Imagery to work with them directly.

Boyd

Well, not really. The newer Garmin handhelds use Google's file format (.kmz) for user-created maps from photographic or scanned material. Older units like the 60csx doesn't support this.

There are two programs (do a google search) - MOAGU and Mapwel that take different approaches to converting images to vector format maps. They are very limited,  the resulting files are large and don't perform well on the GPS.

If this is a feature you want, you should really consider upgrading to a newer Garmin model.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on February 14, 2012, 12:25:18 PM
If this is a feature you want, you should really consider upgrading to a newer Garmin model.

But I'm pretty sure you'll still have to provide your own raster graphics.  You won't be able to use Google Imagery.

Boyd

Quote from: Seldom on February 14, 2012, 01:34:38 PMYou won't be able to use Google Imagery.

According to Google's Terms of Service, this is true: http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/help/terms_maps.html

Quoteyou must not:
(a) access or use the Products or any Content through any technology or means other than those provided in the Products

I was thinking along the lines of "google earth" meaning any kind of high resolution aerial imagery (like "kleenex" meaning any brand of tissues). Here in my state, the free NJ Orthoimagery is far superior to Google's for example.

jbensman

I do not think anyone has answered your question.  I don't know what you mean by creating the route with a ruler.  Use the path tool.

Then upgrade to the new version of BaseCamp that just came out.  It will import the GE file with your route as a track.  You can then send it to your GPS.

qivittoq74

Hi again guys,

Thanks a lot for all your help/ suggestions which helped me a lot.

Now it works!