GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Where's the Map?

Started by Reverend Bill, February 08, 2012, 06:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverend Bill

Last night I downloaded a copy of City Navigator purchased on the website.  It took a couple of hours to download, and now it's in my Montana 600.  However, when I open Mapsource or Basecamp, I don't find the map.  How do I  access this new map on MapSource or Basecamp?
Thanks.
-Bill

Indrid Cold

Maps purchased from Garmin as a download will not display in MapSource. Maybe BaseCamp will display it when you GPS is connected. See the following:

LINK

Boyd

With your Montana connected to your computer, start up Basecamp. Under "all data" in the left pane, you will see an entry for City Navigator and a progress bar that gradually moves from left to right. When it reaches the right end, you will then be able to access the map in Basecamp. The next time you connect your Montana and run Basecamp, the map should be available immediately.

So whenever the Montana is connected, you will be able to access City Navigator. If you don't want to connect the Montana to use the map, copy the entire contents of the device to a USB flash drive - this is a good idea anyway because it will give you a backup. When that USB flash drive is connected to your computer, Basecamp will be able to access the City Navigator map on it.

maps4gps

Garmin mapsets purchased for download from their website go to the GPSr and not to your computer.  With the GPSr connected to the computer, the CN data should be visible in BaseCamp.  Of the three (DVD, SDcard, web download) methods to purchase Garmin mapsets, web download is generally considered the least flexible.  I think its only positive point is having the data in hours versus a day or two (unless a DVD or SDcard can be purchased in a local retail store).

Boyd

I guess it depends on what you need. I purchased City Navigator for my Montana via download and am completely happy with it. I already have an older version installed on my computer, but it's not too hard to use the downloaded map with the technique I describe above.

The pre-loaded data cards have the advantage of being usable in any device, but you really shouldn't add any other files to those cards so the pre-loaded card ties up your slot. On a device like the Montana, I prefer to keep the slot available for a big card to store a lot of BirdsEye. I have my downloaded City Navigator in internal memory, which still leave plenty of room for other maps.

Indrid Cold

Downloads and preprogrammed cards are not eligible for nüMaps updates. Something to consider when purchasing those formats.

Seldom

Interesting, because I just bought a Nuvi with lifetime maps, and under "Settings|Installation" that downloader lets me install to both the Nuvi and the computer.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Seldom on February 08, 2012, 07:42:35 AM
Interesting, because I just bought a Nuvi with lifetime maps, and under "Settings|Installation" that downloader lets me install to both the Nuvi and the computer.
That would be a bundle package of GPS w/maps+updates. Different procedure than just the map license purchase. Garmin's own (updated to now include BaseCamp) words are in the link I posted above.^^^^

Seldom

They do make it confusing, don't they?

Boyd

It really is confusing, combined with outright wrong information on Garmin's site. For example, they say that "premium content" such as speed limits, lane assist and junction view are only available for pre-installed maps and not standalone purchases. In fact, speed limits and lane assist are part of the map and available with any purchase. Junction view is a separate file that isn't included however.

True, the DVD version is eligible for updates. Of course, you still have to purchase the update separately. If you're someone who always wants the newest map then that makes sense I suppose. For me, I really don't care if my maps and POI's are a few years old.

Reverend Bill

You folks are remarkably helpful.  I'm dropping some change in the tip jar.
I will try the BaseCamp procedure described in this string.  And I'll do the jump drive maneuver as well.

I don't want to get down on Garmin, but I must say their instructions are a bit cryptic.    When I called them about my battery error message, they said they'd never heard of such a thing.  However, they were very helpful and we agreed on a troubleshoot/replacement plan.

Thanks again.
-Reverend Bill

Reverend Bill

As I write this, the little green bar under All Data is slowly filling. Thanks.
So for the second suggestion, how do I download the entire contents of the Montana onto a jump drive?
-Bill

Boyd

The Montana should appear as a lettered drive on your computer. Open it up and either drag the contents to your flash drive or copy/paste them. It may take a little while since you will be copying close to 2 GB of data.

Reverend Bill

Okay, now I downloaded a route from Ridewith GPS that I had posted there, and it showed up as a track.  I found the choice in the drop-down to convert the track to a route, and it just locked up and froze. Man, this is frustrating!