GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

is there a way to use BaseCamp on a laptop as a GPS?

Started by -Oz-, January 23, 2012, 11:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Oz-

Question originally posted by Wyo
Currently, I run maps in conjunction with a Garmin 20x usb GPS receiver on a laptop.

I have the Wyoming Maps that I use on my handheld GPS as well as downloaded on a laptop to use in conjuction with BaseCamp.

Is there any capability for BaseCamp to work with a Garmin 20x receiver to, in essence, use the Hunting Maps software via BaseCamp as a laptop GPS?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Answer originally posted by Boyd
No current Garmin software will work with a GPS receiver. People have requested this feature from the Basecamp developers and not received any response. There are two discontinued programs that can be used on your computer though - MobilePC and nRoute.

You might still find new copies of MobilePC if you shop around, I got one last year for about $45. It's like a big Nuvi - I wrote about it here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=23202

nRoute was discontinued long ago but it is free and still available here: http://gawisp.com/perry/nroute/

nRoute actually does a better job of rendering topo maps - more like the style of a handheld unit where MobilePC looks like a Nuvi. It runs fine on Windows 7, but it's slow - clearly MobilePC is using the graphics card in your computer to get better performance.

nRoute is like Mapsource but with live tracking, and it will use any maps that are already installed on your computer, with the exception of newer maps like City Navigator that use Garmin's gmap format (which nRoute doesn't understand). MobilePC uses compiled maps (er: gmapsupp.img) and will not see the maps installed in Mapsource. However, Mapsource will recognize it as if it were a standalone GPS and you can send maps to MobilePC.

Here's a map I made myself in nRoute, running on an HP Slate 500
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Originally posted by Wyo
Boyd, THNX for your response.

If memory serves me correctly, a few years ago I tried to use nRoute in conjunction with the Garmin 20x usb receiver that came with MobilePC, but this setup didn't work.

Is it a 20x receiver that you're using?
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

I have used both my 60csx and a USB stick receiver made by Navation and included with MS Streets and trips. The 60csx works natively with nRoute because it supports Garmin's proprietary protocol. But the Navation receiver only outputs NMEA and nRoute will not support that. The fix is to use GPSGate client, which is a very cool little program that translates protocol on the fly and also lets you share a single GPS with multiple programs. I can run OziExplorer, MobilePC and nRoute simultaneously and it works great, but is about the limit of my a netbook-class CPU can handle concurrently :).

I'm not familiar with the 20x, but MobilePC works with NMEA receivers so it's possible that it doesn't natively support Garmin's format. If that's the case, then GPSGate should do the trick.