GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Adding maps to Dakota 20

Started by Scorpio49, January 18, 2012, 08:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scorpio49

I plan on installing Georgia Topo as well as Georgia contours overlay and My Trails. I understand the GA contours and My Trails are both transparent. I'm using basecamp. When I install these 3 maps do I have to name all three differently to be used together?  What's the best way to do this. I will also at some point add S.C Topo and AZ topo, so as I understand they will need unique  .img file names to be enabled. These maps will be loaded on internal memory of Dakota 20.

Thanks for the help. D20 scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

maps4gps

You do not need the GA contour overlay.
The GA topo mapset has the contours as part of the mapset.
The contour overlay mapsets were meant to add contours to mapsets which are not topo.

jtkt1981

If you already had City Navigator or some other "planimetric" mapset, then you could just add the transparent contour mapset.  That would allow you to turn on or off the contour lines.....which I have found to be helpful at times.   Especially in locations where the contour lines make the map look very busy.

Scorpio49

I do have City Navigator loaded on an SD card. Would I load the the transparent contours to the SdD card as well?

Seldom

You can do this if your copy of City Navigator is on your computer (from a DVD or something that will let you write City Navigator to your GPSr).  You should use another microSD card if your copy of City Navigator came on a microSD card. 

jtkt1981

Like Seldom said, you definitely don't want to add any maps to the memory card if it was purchased preloaded with maps.  If you have the DVD version, then you could pick both mapsets and send them to the same blank (formatted) memory card.  Or, if you bought the preloaded City Navigator card, you could temporarily remove it from the GPS, send the contour mapset to the internal memory.  Then re-insert the memory card.  (Simply to avoid the possibility of sending the new maps to the memory card by mistake and overwriting your City Nav maps.)

You may just want to try the Georgia Topo on its own card and see how it looks by itself for the areas of interest to you.  The Topo maps I have used from this site are all excellent.  Many of those were authored by Maps4gps, like the Georgia Topo you are considering.

Boyd

Quote from: jtkt1981 on January 19, 2012, 06:25:55 PMOr, if you bought the preloaded City Navigator card, you could temporarily remove it from the GPS, send the contour mapset to the internal memory.  Then re-insert the memory card.  (Simply to avoid the possibility of sending the new maps to the memory card by mistake and overwriting your City Nav maps.)

Of course, it never hurts to play it safe. But if you try to send a new map to a pre-loaded Garmin card, this is what you get. :)

Seldom