News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Adding waypoints using coordintes

Started by plod1, January 03, 2012, 08:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plod1

Is me or am I thick?

I have a load of coordintes for a route C2C uk, which I want to enter onto my oregon 450. I cant fathom out how to do it using base camp or direct to the unit. Can it be done firstly and if so how, if not then whats the point in gps?

Seldom

Quote from: plod1 on January 03, 2012, 08:59:28 AM
Is me or am I thick?
Your phrasing above is circular.

I have a load of coordintes for a route C2C uk, which I want to enter onto my oregon 450. I cant fathom out how to do it using base camp or direct to the unit. Can it be done firstly and if so how, if not then whats the point in gps?
In BaseCamp draw a waypoint, then click on the little cartoon note dialog above it. That will open a full tab where you can edit coordinates.

You can enter coordinates to a point on your OR by selecting "Where To", "Find Another", "Coordinates".  Not sure if you can save this as a waypoint without goint there though.

Boyd

It is very easy to create waypoints from coordinates on your Oregon... it just isn't very intuitive.  :) 

Press Mark Waypoint, then press Edit. Tap the Location field (which will contain your present location) and change the coordinates to whatever you like. Tap the check box, then tap Save.

Now I'm doing this on my Montana since I no longer have an Oregon, but I'm pretty sure they're the same.

plod1

Thanks Ive managed that now. Only thing is Ive lots to input and this will take a life time, is there anyway you can enter a batch of coordintes in base camp then transfer across.

Basically I have a lot os cordinates for a walk i want to complete, and wish to enter them on to the gps to create a route, if that makes sense.

Seldom

Pretty much works the same way on the OR, Boyd. Mark Waypoint|Save and Edit|Edit Coordinates.  Also lots of other edit options I wasn't aware of, none of them intuitive (just like BaseCamp).

Plod1, to send your waypoints to your OR, connect it to your PC and start BaseCamp.  Select the waypoints, right-click, and send to, select your OR.

Boyd

Where did the coordinates come from? How accurate are they? If possible, it would be a lot easier to click on points on the map to re-create your waypoints. Clicking is usually faster than typing.  ;)

leszekp

The free DNRGarmin program will take a text list of coordinates as input, and let you export them in GPX format for use in BaseCamp. Google "DNRGArmin" for the software page.

leszekp