GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Difference between Oregon 450 and 450t

Started by MichaelJ07, December 30, 2011, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelJ07

Asking for good old "Uncle Jim" from our deer camp.  He would like something new and I suggested the Oregon 450 or 450t.  He has a very old Garmin 78 (I think) and it gets him lost every year.  He is somewhat GPSr knowledgeable and understands how the buttons and pages work.

What are the major differences between the Oregon 450 and 450t?

Thanks.

Mike (for dear old Uncle Jim)
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Seldom

A 78 is a little over a year old, so if its old its a 76.

The "T" means it has a topo map and elevation grid data built into it.  I don't own the topo but it's 100k quality, so it's pretty coarse.  Most of the topos from this site are 24k (much finer detail).  The nice thing about the T is the elevation grid data.  That permits you to render 3D views.  Another nice thing about all new generation Garmins is their ability to show georeferenced raster imagery like scanned maps or aerial photos.

Check with Uncle Jim about whether he likes touch screens.  Some folks love them, but I don't, and if he doesn't he'll be better with a 78s, or a 62s or an Etrex 30.  Those models have compasses, as does the 450.  The Etrex does everything the bigger units do, but it's lighter and has a smaller screen.

I'm surprised if his 76 is working that it gets him lost.  Do you know what kind of failures he was experiencing?

MichaelJ07

Quote from: Seldom on December 30, 2011, 08:19:39 PM

I'm surprised if his 76 is working that it gets him lost.  Do you know what kind of failures he was experiencing?

He gets lost because he's Uncle Jim.  Quite a funny thing each year in Grayling, MI.  Sometimes he heads off with someone else's rifle, his car alarm goes off at 5am when he tries to unlock his vehicle in the cold mornings and hits the wrong button, and you always want to get in the breakfast line before Uncle Jim as he seems to take a great portion of the meal.  Classic was coming up to my blind one morning looking for his.  Told him his was "over there."  He walks off.  10 minutes later, I hear him outside my blind saying, "Finally, I found it!"  "Nope.  Still my blind, Uncle Jim."  We are going to attach a 12' 2x4 to him so he has to walk straight (bungie cords have been discussed also.)

He is looking to upgrade his "76" (that's what it is) and I'm doing all I can to help him out.  He has been one fun Uncle Jim at deer camp for the past 23 years.

Here is what he sent me: (the boundary lines he mentions are what I put on other's GPSr's because we hunt on a preserve with only certain areas open to hunting.)

Mike

I have listed the following options I am looking for in replacing my GPS, Please advise the cheapest mode that will meet my needs.

1.  Color picture

2.  Will show terrain-hills and valleys

3.  Can be downloaded with boundary lines of no hunting zones from your laptop

4.  Easy to use

5.  Accurate positioning

6.  Touch sensitive

Mike- This list is not in concrete.  Please advise any changes or additions you might suggest.  I certainly can afford a good one, but I`d consider it a waste of money to buy one only to want another soon thereafter.

Thanks so much for your time amd input.  I am curious how you use your GPS every day.  I use a larger GPS to travel with!

Jim

Oh, and THANK YOU for showing me the differences between the 450 and the 450t.  This sounds like a good device and since my 60Csx might one day die on me, I am inclined to get this one to replace it.

Good people here and most helpful.
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

MichaelJ07

babj615, Oh, I got the maps alrighty and use them everyday.   Understand completely the difference between the 100K topo and maps here.

Thanks for the links and information.  As stated above, I am leaning towards the 450 and I just might have to git me one of them thar touchy screeny thingamajigs one day soon.

Seldom

Quote from: MichaelJ07 on December 30, 2011, 11:08:30 PM

If you can find a suitable map in IMG format it can be downloaded to the GPSr, but finding the map may be a problem.  There are a couple of land ownership maps on this site you may want to check out.  Don't know how specific they are to hunting.

MichaelJ07

Quote from: Seldom on December 31, 2011, 11:46:40 AM
Quote from: MichaelJ07 on December 30, 2011, 11:08:30 PM

If you can find a suitable map in IMG format it can be downloaded to the GPSr, but finding the map may be a problem.  There are a couple of land ownership maps on this site you may want to check out.  Don't know how specific they are to hunting.

What he is talking about is a track that I make indicating our hunting boundaries.  If these guys don't have something like this to guide them, they will be knocking on the National Guard Military Base's front door dressed in orange and toting a rifle.

Thanks for all your help!

Mike
Attachment: