GPSFileDepot.com

Where go Basemap? (or Another newbie did something stupid)

Started by jareu, December 15, 2011, 06:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jareu

I just acquired an etrex legend hcx and successfully downloaded several maps from here (Kudos to you guys - great resources here!!)

Somewhere along the way I seem to have lost the base map and all road and highway features on the etrex, even though the features show in mapsource.  I suspect I toggled something inadvertently and now can't get it back.

Any ideas for a remedy?

Seldom

I don't own an Etrex, but if it's anything like my 60CSX you can't erase the basemap, you can just turn it off.  Try this key sequence from the map screen.

Menu|Setup Map|Menu| Show Basemap

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Seldom on December 15, 2011, 06:54:09 PM
I don't own an Etrex, but if it's anything like my 60CSX you can't erase the basemap, you can just turn it off.
Yep, you can't remove the Basemap on that unit.

Boyd

Are you sure it was actually the basemap, or was some other map loaded on the eTrex when you bought it? The basemap has very few "road and highway features". Whenever you send a map to your unit, it will erase any other map (but not the basemap).

jareu

Thanks All

Turns out I had 2 problems going on - I had toggled hide basemap and couldn't find it in the menus again.  Thanks to seldom for the menu sequence.

Also, I was snow shoeing in northern Utah in an area that is covered by both the Utah topos and Wyoming topos I had downloaded.  Apparently the WY. topo for this section does not include roads and for reasons I still don't understand, the WY map is the only one that shows when both maps are selected.

Indrid Cold

The map toggle on that unit fools many people. If you are near the border of two states, on map could cover another unless they are trimmed to the border by the map author. Where they overlap, one might not data for the neighbor state other that contour lines.