GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Raster Map of Coyote Buttes Created with Moagu

Started by Stoaty, February 08, 2009, 11:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoaty

I created a raster map of Coyote Buttes and surrounding area west of Page, AZ that will be of interest to photographers and hikers.  Zip file is uploading now, will be done in about 40 minutes.  Oz, if you can create an installer and Mac version, I would appreciate it.

--John

Stoaty

OK, file has been uploaded.  However, there is a duplicate of Coyote Buttes that doesn't have a file (upload was interrupted by my laptop hibernating).  I can't figure out a way to delete the duplicate.  The "Coyote Buttes Raster Topo" has a zip file with the IMG files in it.  Still needs installer/Mac version.

Thanks.

-Oz-

Fixed the dual problem; i need to add a delete option.

Also, downloading the map now so I can make an installer once I have it.

In addition, I downloaded the tutorial you wrote and I'll convert it this evening.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Stoaty

I didn't think it was black and white.  Will have to check and make sure I didn't make an error processing.  Will let you know.

--John

Stoaty

As far as I can tell, the colors are the same for this map as for the Joshua Tree map.  I thought I might have mistakenly processed as a Grayscale image (Moagu option), but on looking at the completed map in Mapsource I see red lines and blue streams, just as the original TIFF file shows.  The index (#4) for the lines shows RGB 131,66,37 in the TIFF files from both Joshua Tree and Coyote Buttes.  There may have been something different about the TYP file I used to process, but I don't think so.  It may be a matter of perception, as the colors (for both Joshua Tree and Coyote Buttes) look a bit different to me at night than they did during the day.  If I get more info, will let you know.

--John

-Oz-

Wanna download the setup file I loaded?  It is totally black and white.

I kept the other file on the server in case it was a mistake on my end.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

update: my bad; it was a mistake; didn't uncomment one line so it never put the typ into the registry.  Recreating and uploading now.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Stoaty

Thanks,  I wondered how that could be, since it looks fine here.

--John

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Stoaty

Quote from: -Oz- on February 08, 2009, 09:44:06 PM
Your tutorial posted: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/creating-multi-segment-raster-topo-maps-with-moagu/

Thanks!  A beautiful formatting job.

A couple of notes:

1) I saw one typo I made:  "For California, be look on the right side".  The "be" should be deleted.

2) I would add the following new paragarph to the end of the introduction: "Another limitation of the raster maps created with MOAGU is that when zooming in very rapidly my Garmin occasionally crashed (3 times during an all day hike).  This caused no harm to the Garmin or the data I was recording.  Leszek has seen this also.  Presumably it is due to a subtle bug in the Garmin firmware.  I'm not sure whether it has been reported, but I doubt Garmin would be interested in fixing a bug that would potentially decrease sales of their own maps.  The workaround is simple--don't zoom immediately after zooming.  The problem usually happened when zooming a split second after the previous zoom.  I found that holding the zoom button down until close to the 500 foot zoom level didn't create the problem, so I could easily and quickly get to the approximate zoom level I needed."

3) Move the sentence "Missing tiles are due to either a bug in MOAGU or a problem with cgsmapper (haven't pinned it down yet)." to the top of the section "Check Map in MapSource for Missing Tiles and Reprocess as Needed".  This will make it clearer why you are checking for missing tiles.

4) You may want to add the caveat you put on the Coyote Buttes Raster Topo page to the Joshua Tree Raster Topo page:  "The map is slower than normal vector maps and only visible when zoomed in to 0.5mi + on highest detail."

That's it!  Thanks.

--John