GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Best handheld GPS for Trail riding horseback?

Started by HB Rider, April 16, 2011, 09:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowgirlbarb

Boyd, thanks for the suggestions.  I looked at them carefully but I don't think any of them give me the ability to have the GPS close at hand or in my hand, appropriate view, and constantly attached to me.  The biner on my belt loop is working ok other than it's a little floppier than I'd like in order to see it right-side-up, but I think I can stabilize it with a little velcro, just to make it lie flatter.  I can't believe Garmin made it this way!  Doesn't seem like it would be useful no matter what it was clipped onto, and certainly not on a belt loop!  Thanks for your thoughts.

Boyd

When I first got my Oregon (over 3 years ago) I took one look at the carabiner and hated the whole idea. After I used it, I came to like it much more than the belt clip on my 60csx though. I just clip it into my belt loop and it doesn't bounce around all that much as I hike. I really like it, but I don't ride horses. :)

But in the "I can't believe Garmin made it that way" department... there's the new Montana which provides no way to attach either a carabiner or belt clip, just a slot for a lanyard. I made my own carabiner with a piece of old camera strap, and it's ok, but Garmin really didn't think this though.

cowgirlbarb

But don't you find that it's upside-down while hanging on your belt-clip from the biner?  I run into the same upside-down problem whether on my horse or on my feet. 

Boyd

Well I don't really look at it when hanging from my belt, so I don't care if it's upside down.  :)

With my homebrew Montana clip, the unit hangs with the top of the screen facing the ground. That does allow me to pivot it up and view it right-side-up, which is what I assume you mean. I don't find this very useful, and think it may be a problem accuracy-wise, because the antenna is pointing towards the ground when carried this way. I would be much happier if the Montana had the same mount as the Oregon.

You could probably rig something similar to this for your Oregon, although the lanyard slot is much smaller.

babj615

For those of you who need the Oregon firmly attached to you at all times, protected from the elements, antenna always "up", and in a usable orientation without removing it, try this hard sided case from Garmin:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=26667

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Seldom

Quote from: cowgirlbarb on September 11, 2011, 09:07:26 AM
But don't you find that it's upside-down while hanging on your belt-clip from the biner?  I run into the same upside-down problem whether on my horse or on my feet. 
That's a problem with the biner clip that comes with the ORs, but the lanyard loop is on the bottom of the ORs like it is on Boyd's Montana.  When you look at it from the lanyard the bottom should be facing your body and the top should be away from it.  Unfortunately, the lanyard loop on the OR doesn't look like it would take anything very robust.