GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

450 oregon map help

Started by Davo, September 07, 2011, 05:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davo

I just purchased an Oregon 450. I am not a computer nerd but I managed to download the northeast topo maps onto a data stick.  Its now asking me what program do I want to use to open it to view on my laptop as the 450 is not here yet.  I have no idea and once I do how do I get it on my gps and how  much of it should I transfer.  I spend most of my time in WI and my computer use vista.  talk in plain English  don't speak computer nerd language,  right now regretting not getting preloaded maps.  thanks  Davo

Boyd

If you want the same simplicity as the preloaded maps, just buy the 100k topo data card. Just plug it in and it works exactly the same: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=28229&pvID=67028

If you want to use the map you downloaded here, you do not "open" it directly. You need to install Mapsource. See this simple tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

After completing the installation, just follow this easy tutorial to view the map: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/

If this is too "computer nerdy" then purchasing the Garmin map above may be better for you.

Davo

Thanks man I will give that a try maybe learn something along the way.

Davo

ok downloaded two files you sent me and it brought up street maps for us.  However I downloaded ne topo maps on a data stick I put it in the computer and it brings up image files that I click on and am prompted to pick what will open it not sure if I am even supposed to be doing that but whenever I click on it there is no image there its just a white screen.  When I did the download it prompted me that my garmin  version was in need of updating but not sure if that matters for us topo maps.  right now that is all I am concerned with is getting street maps and topo maps for at least WI  my 450 should be here by friday I hope it was mailed priority mail on Tuesday.  No sure if they have any software I can install and I cant afford to buy anything else as in software at this point so trying to do the "simple" downloads that I don't understand

babj615

Quote from: Davo on September 07, 2011, 10:21:25 PM
ok downloaded two files you sent me and it brought up street maps for us.  However I downloaded ne topo maps on a data stick I put it in the computer and it brings up image files that I click on and am prompted to pick what will open it not sure if I am even supposed to be doing that but whenever I click on it there is no image there its just a white screen. 

Did you run the map installer?

Quote from: Davo on September 07, 2011, 10:21:25 PMWhen I did the download it prompted me that my garmin  version was in need of updating but not sure if that matters for us topo maps.  right now that is all I am concerned with is getting street maps and topo maps for at least WI  my 450 should be here by friday

WHAT Garmin is the computer telling you needs updating?

Quote from: Davo on September 07, 2011, 10:21:25 PMI hope it was mailed priority mail on Tuesday.  No sure if they have any software I can install and I cant afford to buy anything else as in software at this point so trying to do the "simple" downloads that I don't understand

Carefully re read the tutorials above
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Boyd

As I said above, you do NOT "open" maps. They get installed into Basecamp/Mapsource when you download them and run the installer. You cannot click on the map file and open them as you are trying. I agree, you need to read the tutorials CAREFULLY again. If you run Mapsource, you should see the name of your map listed in the dropdown menu like this

Your Oregon will not come with any software, you either need to purchase maps or learn how to install and use the free ones.

Did you connect another GPS to your computer when you ran Basecamp? If so, and if that unit had old firmware installed, then Basecamp would ask if you want to update it. You can just ignore that message if you don't want to update.

If you get too frustrated by this stuff, find some money and purchase the Garmin topo maps I linked to above. You will then have maps for the whole US with no stress.

Davo

It worked the second download did not load and I see my topo maps listed.  City Navigator is what is outdated which makes sense its off my older NUVI for the car which I have not updated. Thanks for your help now I need to figure out how to add state parks and poi etc to that map or make a custom one which ever is more practical.    thanks again

Boyd

Great, glad you got it working.  :)

maps4gps

My WI topo uses current data; the NE topo is a few years old.

Davo

where can I find the wi topo and I assume there tutorials on this site on how to get on the gps.  I am a bit curious how it works.  Does it just take a snap shot of the area you chose to transfer.  have not played with this at all so custom maps, overlays, etc are all new ideas to me

babj615

Click "Maps" near the Top Center of this page, then on the page that loads, under "Search By Country or State", select Wisconsin (next to last in the list). On the Map page that follows that selection, you will see the WI TOPO (next to last again) in the list of maps for that state.

Select it, download it, run the self installer, and follow the tutorials linked in the beginning of this thread to select the areas you want and send them to your GPSr!

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Boyd

This is the tutorial that shows you how to select a portion of the map and send it to your GPS: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Davo

again thanks for help.  Have you had this happen.  I downloaded my new McAfee subscription for virus protection.  when I went to open up the mapsource my map of mid west with topo was no longer there.  Not sure what happened I have a city navigato map but nothing else

Seldom

Running McAfee and MapSource with no problems Win7-64.  Suggest you try re-installing your GPSfiledepot maps.