GPSFileDepot.com

Another Newbie having problem loading a map into Mapsource

Started by Rmorr, September 03, 2011, 10:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rmorr

I've installed Basecamp and Mapsource from this site onto my computer, and then downloaded the New Mexico map to my PC.  How do I get the map to open in Mapsource?  There is nothing at all in the Maps menu on Mapsource now.

Thanks for your help!

Seldom

Did you read this tutorial?

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/
But you don't see a map where it shows "Topo US 2008 in the third graphic?

If your OS is Win7 try downloading and installing a copy of My Trails.
This has been known to fix the problem.

Boyd

It helps if you're more specific. What map? This one? http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/41/

What operating system?

The map at the link above includes an installer (.exe file) that you would run (your browser may do this automatically depending on configuration). The process should go like this: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/

If you are running Windows 7 64 bit, there seem to be a variety of issues that don't affect other versions of Windows (Win 7 32 bit is fine, Win Vista 64 bit also fine). The problems seem related to the installer scripts many of use have used here and the way they handle registry entries.

It has been suggested that if you install this map, then other maps will start working. I can't confirm myself however. Again, this only applies if you are on WIndows 7 64 bit: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53

Rmorr

Yes Boyd that's the map.  I uninstalled it, installed My Trails and then downloaded the NM Topo again and I've just checked Mapsource and can open it!

I don't know if it's an issue with Firefox, or an operator error (likely) but at least I'm past this obstacle now.

I appreciate the feedback.

Seldom

Quote from: Rmorr on September 03, 2011, 11:09:57 AM
I don't know if it's an issue with Firefox, or an operator error (likely) but at least I'm past this obstacle now.
Don't blame Firefox, by the time you encountered the error you were done with the download.  Don't blame Operator Error either.  The problem was likely the registry errors Boyd mentioned.  My Trails was the fix.

Rmorr

Seldom, you may be right, but I think operator error is always a possibility with me.  Much of the terminology is new to me and given multiple options I believe I might often choose the wrong one.  Not trying to paint myself as a "simpleton", because I'm not, but I am definitely new at this and find much of it confusing.

Now for my present dilemma!  I succesfully loaded a selected portion of the NM Topo to my new Garmin Oregon 450 and was able to view the topo lines and other features on my 450.  Then I added a 4 GB Micro SD card to the unit.  (I say this because it may be a factor in my present difficulty.)  After inserting the micro SD,I sent a portion of the Texas topo downloaded from this site from Mapsource to my device.  That went well and without any error message.  I enabled it following the instructions per the tutorial on this site, but now the previously enabled NM topo isn't there or even listed on the Set-up>Maps>Select Map menu screen.  It currently only shows "Enabled - txtopo 11" and "Enabled - Worldwide Dem Basemap,NR".  My expectation was that all maps I've downloaded to the device would appear on this screen, but the NM Topo isn't.

Any idea where my NM Topo might be found now?  That's really the one I need for an upcoming backpacking trip.  I don't know if this would be necessary, but is there a way to delete a downloaded map from the device without resetting to the factory defaults?

Thanks again for your help.

Boyd

When you send a portion of a map with Mapsource, the file is always named gmapsupp.img and placed in the Garmin folder. Sending a second map therefore erases the previous one because it will also go to a file named gmapsupp.img. This is because older Garmin units only recognized that single name for map files. But your Oregon is more flexible.

To prevent this from happening, before sending a second map just rename the first one. Open the Garmin folder on the device and named the file newmexico1.img, or whatever. Now send the second file and repeat as needed, renaming gmapsupp.img each time.

Files sent to a card behave exactly the same way. But I'm not quite clear on what has happened. When you look at the Oregon and the card on your computer, does each of them have a gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder?

If you send two maps that have the same FID number (Family ID - a number assigned by the mapmaker) then your Oregon will group them both together and you won't be able to individually turn them on and off. Maybe that's what happened?

Maps on a card and internal memory work exactly the same. The GPS doesn't care about the location of the file as long as it has an .img extension and is placed in a folder named Garmin.

Rmorr

Thanks Boyd.  Renaming the files is working.  They all appear in the Oregon's Setup Menu and are enabled and display properly.  I'll have to remember to do that from now on but trial and error (with the emphasis on error) is the best learning method for me. 

To answer your question,
QuoteWhen you look at the Oregon and the card on your computer, does each of them have a gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder?
, apparently because there is still capacity on the Oregon, nothing has been saved to the mini SD card yet. 

Again, many thanks for your response!

Boyd

Glad to help. You need to specifically choose the card in Mapsource if that's where you want the map. It will not automatically switch to the card when internal memory is full. You do this using the dropdown menu in the Send To dialog box. In the example below (from the tutorial on this site), maps would be sent to Drive H: unless a different destination is chosen. If there's a card in your Oregon when you connect it, you will have two drives available - internal memory and the card. They will be designated with consecutive letters, such as G: and H: (depends on your computer setup).

Rmorr

Ahhhhh, that makes perfectly good sense!  And I would've probably stumbled upon it at some point, but that's one other mystery I won't have to worry over now. :)

Rmorr

I'm not sure that my mini SD card is seated properly in my Oregon 450. I noticed it looked pretty loose and moved around while I was changing the batteries earlier.  I've never felt it "click in" and don't want to be too heavy handed and break something.  I tried to depress the metal cover to snap everything in place, but it came off of its hinges.  It was easy enough to replace, but the card itself doesn't seem secure.  Has anyone else experienced this and have a suggestion?

Boyd

The metal cover won't "snap into place". You must first line the card up so the contacts are touching, then push the cover down, and finally SLIDE it AWAY from the end with the contacts. That should cause the cover to latch and hold the card firmly.

Rmorr

Thanks again Boyd!  I don't think I would've ever stumbled upon that one.