News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Loading custom made maps into Oregon 450 using sendmap20

Started by EL34, August 30, 2011, 11:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

Quote from: EL34 on August 31, 2011, 11:08:44 AM
I am getting nowhere with creating a custom .typ file and having it work as expected in the Oregon 450.

I created a simple .typ file in the editor http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi
The .typ file only defines one thin contour line 0x20 that is used in my topo map.
I made the line color red and added some text (topo) so I could tell if the lines were different in the GPS

I created a combined .img + .typ file with sendmap20.

I loaded the .img file into the Oregon and enabled it. The topo map lines are still white. >:(

I loaded the same exact .img file into my Map76cs and the topo lines are red and my text shows up next to all the topo lines.
So there is nothing wrong with the .img file.

What the heck is the problem with the Oregon?
Does it not respond to .typ files?

I had a similar color problem generating TYP files with cgpsmapper and sending them to my OR300 using Sendmap 2.0.  

The problem went away when I used MapSetToolKit to bind the TYP to the mapset and MapSource to send the mapset to my OR.

Also, it might help to read the section on TYP files in the cgpsmapper manual.

EL34

Hi Seldom,

QuoteI had a similar color problem generating TYP files with cgpsmapper and sending them to my OR300 using Sendmap 2.0.
I generated my .typ file using the editor at the web link that boyd provided above, not cgpsmapper.

I am not sending the .img file to the Oregon using sendmap, I am copying the file into the Garmin folder.

The file works fine in my Map76cs but not the Oregon, so I know the .typ file is bound to the .img file and works on one of my garmins.

I will check out MapSetToolKit.
I actually may have a very old mapsource disk that came with my first gps somewhere.

QuoteAlso, it might help to read the section on TYP files in the cgpsmapper manual
thanks, did that already. Printed out on paper and read it.

I'll get back on this in the morning and see what I can come up with.

Seldom

The easy way to get MapSource to run is to download BaseCamp and install it first.  Once you have BaseCamp, you don't really need MapSource unless you like the old interface.

Boyd

Quote from: EL34 on August 31, 2011, 01:46:38 PMI am not sending the .img file to the Oregon using sendmap, I am copying the file into the Garmin folder.

This makes no difference one way or the other. The issue has something to do with the way Sendmap creates the gmapsupp.img file and not how it was sent to the device.

EL34

QuoteThis makes no difference one way or the other. The issue has something to do with the way Sendmap creates the gmapsupp.img file and not how it was sent to the device.

Yes, that's my thought also.
But, something must be different between Garmins, because the file works fine on one Garmin but not the Oregon.
I am thinking that it has to do with the Oregon charcter sets/bitmaps or something.

My custom maps all look different in the Oregon
The tracks, the lines, the water, etc all look slightly different.

Will not be able to mess with it again until tomorrow -thursday.

Boyd

Ah, well if this is your first new Garmin product since the 76 series, a lot has changed.  ;D

I have found best way to get consistent results across many different models is to use bitmapped custom types. Things like text style are hardcoded into the devices and can't be altered by the maps we make, although you can choose text size in the online editor.

Here's the project I'm working on now on the Oregon, 60csx (like your 76) and Nuvi 205. Aside from font style and screen resolution, I think the results are pretty consistent. The older models like the 60csx only have 8 bit color depth which also leads to some variation.

jbensman

You do NOT need a typ file on the OR 450 for contour lines.  The default without a typ file is a brown line that shows up good on the map. 

Take a look at the screen shots for My Trails (link on the main page under most downloaded).  The topo lines in those screen shots are the default display on the OR 450/550).  The screen shots show what you get without a typ file.  If your topo lines are showin white, something else is messed up.  Maybe you have the wrong type assigned to them. 

EL34

Hmmm, ok, but they are brown in my Map76cs and white in the Oregon using the same exact file
This is why I am scratching my head - see screen shot from Oregon

see the full list of RGN40 types down below from the cgpsmapper RGNtype.txt file

I am using this element for topo lines
RgnType=0x40
Type=0x20 - Land Contour (thin)

Here is a sample text file that is used to create the topo line maps using cgpsmapper

[IMG ID]
ID=40000000
Name=Topo....
Datum=W84
TreSize=2000
RgnLimit=1024
Levels=4
Level0=24
Level1=23
Level2=20
Level3=18
[END-IMG ID]
;RGN40 Topo, Land Contour (thin)
[PLT]
RgnType=0x40
Type=0x20
Label=
EndLevel=0
FILE0=Y:\My Documents\GPS\Data\NC\Topo\TopoB5.plt
[END-PLT]

From the cgpsmapper RGNtype.txt file

[RGN40 types]
0x01   Major HWY thick
0x02   Principal HWY-thick
0x03   Principal HWY-medium
0x04   Arterial Road -medium
0x05   Arterial Road-thick
0x06   Road-thin
0x07   Alley-thick
0x08   Ramp
0x09   Ramp
0x0a   Unpaved Road-thin
0x0b   Major HWY Connector-thick
0x0c   Roundabout
0x14   Railroad
0x15   Shoreline
0x16   Trail
0x18   Stream-thin
0x19   Time-Zone
0x1a   Ferry
0x1b   Ferry
0x1c   Political Boundary
0x1d   County Boundary
0x1e   Intl. Boundary
0x1f   River
0x20   Land Contour (thin) Height in feet
0x21   Land Contour (medium) Height in feet
0x22   Land Contour (thick) Height in feet
0x23   Depth Contour (thin) Depth in feet
0x24   Depth Contour (medium) Depth in feet
0x25   Depth Contour (thick) Depth in feet
0x26   Intermittent River
0x27   Airport Runway
0x28   Pipeline
0x29   Powerline
0x2a   Marine Boundary (no line)
0x2b   Marine Hazard (no line)
[END-RGN40 types]

EL34

Haaa... , nailed it

I changed some things in my cgpsmapper header file and now the topo lines are brown.
Although I don't quite understand which setting is responsible.
Maybe someone with a better understanding of it all can explain?

Before header

[IMG ID]
ID=40000000
Name=Topo....
Datum=W84
TreSize=2000
RgnLimit=1024
Levels=4
Level0=24
Level1=23
Level2=20
Level3=18
[END-IMG ID]

After header

[IMG ID]
ID=60000000
Name=Topo....
Datum=W84
Preprocess=G
TreSize=1000
TreMargin=0.00000
RgnLimit=1024
Transparent=Y
POIIndex=Y
Copyright=Doug Hoffman
DrawPriority=1
Levels=4
Level0=24
Level1=23
Level2=20
Level3=18
Zoom0=0
Zoom1=1
Zoom2=2
Zoom3=3
[END-IMG ID]

Before and after screen shots

maps4gps

MapSource will recognize the map included with BaseCamp as a MapSource product.

Try setting the OR450 to not display elevation data.  This changes the background from tan to off-white.  Garmin is doing some 'weird' things with the newer units - some feature colors are different on the newer units than what was used on the older units.  Also some feature types seams to be 'fixed' in the GPSr and a custom .typ file will not change these. 

Also check you profile to be sure it is on recreational - some of the included profiles make unexpected changes to the display.

EL34

Hi,
As was said above, I don't use mapsource, don't really need it.

All my custom maps come from usgs dem24k data and also Ozi-Exporer track and waypoint files.
cgpsmapper works just fine for creating those type of maps from raw data.

It is all ok now , see my post and screen shots right above this one.