GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Custom maps folder on Dakota20?

Started by nico3d, September 01, 2011, 12:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nico3d

Hi Guys, I'm new here, just bought a Dakota 20 GPS and it's the first GPS i have so this is all new to me.

I just downloaded the World map .kmz from here and it says it should be installed on garmin/custom maps folder....but I don't have that one on my GPS by default.

Should I create one manually or what??

Thanks in advance!  :)

Indrid Cold

I would just import the .kmz file into BaseCamp and them send it to your GPS from BaseCamp and let it make what ever folder it liked. Would most likely send it to a datacard in any case instead of the GPS proper.

nico3d

thanks Indrid. excuse my ignorance, but what is BaseCamp? I have MapSource, GPS mapper, training center but not that one.....

Boyd

Mapsource has been discontinued and Basecamp is its replacement.

But to answer your question, with the Dakota connected to your computer open the folder named Garmin. Create a folder named CustomMaps (note there is NO blank space in the name) if it doesn't already exist. Copy the .kmz file there and restart the GPS. No press Setup > Map > Map Info, find the Custom Maps item and enable it. YOu should now see the map, although it may only appear at certain zoom levels.

A custom map that shows the whole world will have a very crude level of detail however and may only be useful for certain specialized purposes.

nico3d

That worked just GREAT!~ Thanks a lot Boyd! 

maps4gps

That mapset just has elevation shading, no hydro, roads, etc.

nico3d

Quote from: maps4gps on September 01, 2011, 06:31:54 AM
That mapset just has elevation shading, no hydro, roads, etc.

Do you have any other good one to recommend? Preferably World Map but Asia and Africa is what's most important to me.

I'm a cycle traveler, I'll be cycling across Tibet for the 4th time in two weeks so I'm trying to get the best I can

Boyd

nico3d

that's a really great site! Thanks a lot again Boyd!

a further question. What is a routable and non-routable map, what does that mean?

(i feel like an idiot asking everything. In photography forums I'm the one who answers everything now  i ask everything  :-[ )

Seldom

A routable map will follow roads to get you to you destination.  A non-routable map will follow straight lines.

nico3d