News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Newbie Getting Started

Started by n2stitch, February 01, 2009, 09:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n2stitch

Hi all,

I've already made some transparent trail maps from tracklog data and from shapefiles obtained from the USFS.  Now I want to make a complete topo map for my state (Missouri).  I know there are some partial maps available, but I want to take a crack at the whole thing.

I do have a question.  Before I read the tutorial here, I already had downloaded the DEM data from the USGS server, except I downloaded by county instead of by 100k quads.  Will that cause any problems with following the steps of the tutorial?

Lalita

-Oz-

That won't cause any problems; it all gets combined at the end.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

n2stitch

Great, thanks!

I'm reading ahead in the tutorial, and see in Section 8 (combining) a step for splitting out into smaller files, and using 100k quads to trim to that quad (if you don't have the full version of GPSMapEdit).  Would I be able to trim to a county line since that is my dem data boundaries?  Or would I be better off re-downloading the data in 100k quad chunks?

Thanks for your help!

Lalita

-Oz-

You can't trim odd shapes with either GPSMapEdit or Global Mapper but you can open all the counties that are in a quad (or all of them period depending on the computer, size of area, etc) and then just trim to a quad.  You could trim to any size rectangle you want quads are just easier to keep track of since they're 1 degree by half a degree.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!