GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Windows XP Home Edition

Started by abro, February 01, 2009, 07:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abro

Hope someone can help me on this one.  I just started down loading Transportation Data and windows blocked my first file. I have (Windows XP Home Edition) I opened the file properties and unblocked the file, rebooted and Windows still blocks it. Help, Jim

-Oz-

what exactly do you mean blocked?

Windows doesn't have any software that can really block a file.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

abro

here it is, thanks, jim

How blocking some attachments helps protect your computerSending and reading e-mail is one of the most popular activities on the Internet. The widespread use of this technology, however, makes it a primary way for computer viruses to spread. Because viruses and other security threats are often contained in e-mail attachments, Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) helps protect your computer by blocking e-mail attachments that might be harmful.

In most cases, Windows XP SP2 will block files that have the potential to harm your computer if they come to you through e-mail or other communication programs. Windows will block these files if your program is running in a strong security mode. Most files that contain script or code that could run without your permission will be blocked. Some common examples of this file type are those with file names that end in .exe, .bat, and .js.

Blocking these files is very important to do, since directly opening files of this type poses a risk to your computer and personal data.

Is there any way I can open files that have been blocked?

If you are certain that you trust this file and want to open it, follow the instructions below.

Save the file onto your computer.
Click Start, click My Computer, and navigate to the file that you saved.
Right-click the file that you saved, and then click Properties.
Click Unblock near the bottom of the dialog box.

-Oz-

Did you get this in an email or what? It looks almost like a helpdesk thing from microsoft and then almost like spam.

Anyway, if you're downloading a file with internet explorer there should be a bar at the top that appears.  Right click that bar and click Save File.

If you're doing this in outlook lower your security settings I think is the only way.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

That is interesting; never seen it.  Glad someone has.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

abro

I did not get this in an email, I been downloading zip files from several different sites without issue until the national/tiger/line shapefiles page. I select the state, select a county, check mark all lines, and select the download button. A down load file box pops up, and wants to know if I want to open or save the zip file. I can select either method it downloads to my desktop. I double click on the zip file and point it at the county folder, as soon as I hit enter a windows pop up box appears and blocks the extraction. In side the windows box is a more info button, which I copied and sent to you OZ.
I shut down both firewalls, minimized all security settings in IE7, followed the unblocking instructions from windows and they continue to block.

I like what was offered up, however I am not smart enough to know what that will do to my computer as far as security. I use the computer for business and this kind of thing.
Thank for all the effort,  Jim

abro

i down loaded 7-zip, extracted files and ran it. windows continues to block.

jim

abro

Starting over...
I can unzip files from every other site, it is only the transpo files that Windows blocks. Windows is not blocking previously downloaded .zip files. I can zip a file then unzip it without issue. I tried several different options with blocking. I can unblock the transpo file from its property window and then try to unzip without rebooting. I can unblock it, reboot, and then try to unzip and Windows blocks either way. It does not revert to blocking after reboot. Unblock does not have any effect.

Thanks for helping, Jim

-Oz-

Post what page you're downloading from; I will then download the file and upload it to this server then we can see if its blocking the actual file or if its the url.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

abro

Hope this is what you wanted, the state is PA, the county is Dauphin. However I downloaded all the counties .zip files there sitting on my desk top waiting to be extracted.
http://www2.census.gov/cgi-bin/shapefiles/county-files?county=42043

Thanks, Jim

krellor

I followed that link and downloaded all lines, and unzipped it fine.  Could you maybe take a screen shot of the error you are getting?

abro

I do not have the current software for screen shots. When I hit enter to extract the .zip file from the subject site only, a Windows pop up box appears, it states (Windows has blocked the extraction of this file). Inside that small box is a more info button. Click on that button and all the information is in reply # 2 of this subject. I have 2 computers, 1 with Service pack 2, the other with Service pack 3 and they both block the .zip files from that site only.

Thanks Jim

n2stitch

To make a screenshot, hit the print screen button on your keyboard.  Then open Paint (comes with Windows) and paste.  File save as jpg to make it smaller. 

Lalita

abro

sorry for being an idiot, let me know if it gets there

n2stitch

It showed up.  ;D Sorry I can't help with your original issue.

Lalita