GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

map viewing apps for Mac OSx 10.4 PowerPC

Started by rahafa, April 14, 2011, 04:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rahafa

Anyone out there have suggestions for applications one can use to view and manage maps, waypoints, etc. on a Mac Power PC running OSX 10.4.11?
Garmin's apps are pretty slow and jerky. I have an eTrex Venture Cx.
Thanks (I hope) in advance.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: rahafa on April 14, 2011, 04:20:23 PM
on a Mac Power PC running OSX 10.4.11?
Garmin's apps are pretty slow and jerky.
There's your problem, Garmin's apps smoke on an Intel Mac. How much memory do you have?

Boyd

I think it's both an issue of having an older, slower machine plus having to use a very old version or Roadtrip and Basecamp. The Legacy version of Basecamp is at 2.1x, the new version is 3.1x.

Roadtrip is a disaster, even on the new Macs. It has not been updated since 2009.

rahafa

Thanks for the feedback; sorry I was tardy in responding to it. I still have the same computer ("it's the economy."), have upgraded to OSX 10.5 and that is where it maxes out.
I found a way to quickly change which the maps on micoSD/SD cards if you need to. Once you have created a map or mapset with Mapinstall, you can copy the mapsupp.img file into a named folder. That way if you lose a card or whatnot all you have to do is drag the image file onto your new card, or use an existing card after you copy that file to another folder and delete it. That way you don't have to go through the Mapinstall process.
This may be a well-known trick, I suppose.

Boyd

Yep, it's well-know, but good to point it out every so often anyway. What model GPS do you have? The older models (such as eTrex and 60csc) will only recognize a file named gmapsupp.img. But newer models (Oregon, Colorado, Dakota, Montana, 62, 78) will recognize any map file as long as it has a .img extension.

rahafa

I have an eTrex Venture CX. It is adequate for my needs and is really quite versatile. I got it cheap right when Garmin discontinued them. I guess they had a new line coming out.
One thing I've noticed: when I use  my Dad's street Pilot it takes you on the most convoluted route possible. I nearly threw it out the window yesterday, after I drew a blank on where this particular road was in my city. I was using City Navigator 2011, BTW.
Garmin's routing algorithm must have been written by the proverbial million monkeys pounding on typewriters.

rahafa

Seldom

Quote from: rahafa on July 30, 2011, 04:55:36 PM
One thing I've noticed: when I use  my Dad's street Pilot it takes you on the most convoluted route possible. I nearly threw it out the window yesterday, after I drew a blank on where this particular road was in my city. I was using City Navigator 2011, BTW.
Garmin's routing algorithm must have been written by the proverbial million monkeys pounding on typewriters.

I don't own a Street Pilot.  Does it have routing options like pedestrian, bicycle, motorcycle/car, fastest or shortest route? If you are driving and the routing is set to pedestrian you will get bizarre results.

Also, I thought City Navigator abandoned Street Pilot support by 2011 when it stopped producing versions other than NT.

Boyd

I think the only StreetPilots that are not NT-compatible are the 2600 series. I had a 2620, which was Garmin's first model to include full US mapping. It had a 2GB MagicStor hard drive on a compact flash card for map storage. The 2610 was the same, but only had something like a 128MB CF card (iirc - this may have increased later on) and maps were provided with Mapsource on a set of CD's (before Garmin used DVD for map distribution). These units had a serial interface - no USB disk mode, but you could at least put the CF cards in a reader to transfer map files.

The 2600's were very cool, with lots of advanced menu features. I think Garmin has only now gotten back to something comparable with the Montana series. Anyway, the 2720 was a bit more nuvi-like and is also compatible with NT format maps. I think you can even purchase a lifetime subscription for it.

Later on, Garmin introduced a series of cheaper StreetPilots that became their low cost alternative to the Nuvi's. I think they are all NT compatible, but not 100% sure.