GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Re: Upload

Started by Boyd, July 28, 2011, 06:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

This isn't related to the upload process, but here's a utility that claims to install .gmapi files on Windows (also does a lot of other handy things). I didn't realize that was possible! If true, maybe it would allow us to start offering downloads in a universal format that doesn't require messing with the Windows registry. http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.htm

QuoteMaps in the new format (not using registry settings) are becoming more common. These maps have the extension .gmap or .gmapi. Sometimes they are presented as maps for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp), but they can be used in Windows too.
Garmin MapManager for the Mac provides an easy way to install them, but there is no Windows version of it.

This option in JaVaWa GMTK enables you to install these maps. It will check that no existing map will be overwritten, and after installing new maps, JaVaWa GMTK will perform a check for possible file errors and conflicts with other maps. Even on the Mac this method is preferable, because Garmin MapManager doesn't check anything and will overwrite existing maps without warning.

-Oz-

That is interesting except I wouldn't want people to 100% rely on non-Garmin software to install maps.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

I need to take a closer look at Garmin's new map format one of these days. I think they are already using this for City Navigator in fact. If I run Mapsettoolkit, it doesn't list the copy of City Navigator 2011 that I have installed. This makes me think that no registry entries are involved. And on Garmin's site, the developers posted instructions for moving your maps elsewhere (like a different machine). No registry modification was required.

Just thinking, it would sure be nice to get away from messing with the Windows registry if possible. That seems to be the source of many problems - especially on Windows 7/64.

jbensman

Since I update my maps regularly, I don't like that it will not overwrite an existing file. 

Boyd

Quote from: maps4gps on August 01, 2011, 08:00:21 AM
Garmin uses entries in the Windows registry to record info about mapsets.

This is a bit of a technical nitpick, but it seems that Garmin is moving beyond this. City Navigator NT doesn't use the registry-based system and therefore is not even listed as an installed map in Mapsettoolkit, but it works as expected in Mapsource. I wrote about this in another thread.

maps4gps

I read your post on that change.  Why confuse a newbe with something only being done by Garmin in one mapset.  Todays users of other mapsets will be using the registry method.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on August 01, 2011, 08:04:44 AM
This is a bit of a technical nitpick, but it seems that Garmin is moving beyond this. City Navigator NT doesn't use the registry-based system and therefore is not even listed as an installed map in Mapsettoolkit, but it works as expected in Mapsource. I wrote about this in another thread.

Boyd,

My MSTK 1.75 Beta lists all three CNNANT products I own:
FamiliesNT...CNNANT 2009
GMP:Garmin...CNNANT 2010.30
GMP:Garmin...CNNANT 2010

What version of MSTK are you using?  Did something change between 2010 and 2012?

Boyd

I'm using MSTK 1.50, which probably explains it. I had problems with the newer versions when I first started using MSTK, and found that this version worked properly so I stuck with it. I would say that the newer versions of MSTK may be looking for installed maps in a different way. But my version of CNNANT is 2011.20, so that could be different too I suppose.

Just looking at this now, CNNANT files are stored at:

C:\Users\All Users\GARMIN\Maps\City Navigator North America NT 2011.20.gmap\Product1

And the structure looks just the same as my Mac, where you have a file folders with 8-digit numbers as names. Each folder contains a .gmp file that would correspond to an .img file in the old system. So it appears that Garmin is now using a universal format that works on both platforms.

I'm just suggesting that we might avoid a lot of confusion, and also the need for separate versions, if we figured out a way to do this ourselves. And Oz, I don't think this would change anything WRT Garmin software. Maps in this new format work the same in Mapsource, so the user doesn't even to be aware of the difference. We are already using a non-Garmin installer, so the challenge would be to develop a new standalone installer that works on both platforms.

And yeah, you're right. I shouldn't have posted this in the other thread Indrid. Thanks for starting a new one.

Seldom

All the NT stuff on my machine are GMPs (Global Mapper Package ??? ) not IMGs.  Same folder structure you describe.  What do you bet the NT format standard is GMPs?  In my Win7 registry the folder location for all my CNNANT is called out in Hkey_Local_machine\Wow6432node\Garmin\Installed.

Boyd

Yeah, I also noticed they have the same extension as Globalmapper package files. On the Mac they are .gmap files, so I guess they shortened it on Windows to conform to the 3 character extension standard?  ???

But I don't think it has anything to do with the NT format. I just think it's Garmin's new system for storing maps. My copy of the Garmin 24k topo is on SD card, but I'd be curious as to whether the DVD version also uses this system for storing files on the computer.

jbensman

Quote from: Seldom on August 01, 2011, 10:42:39 AM
Quote from: Boyd on August 01, 2011, 08:04:44 AM

Boyd,

My MSTK 1.75 Beta lists all three CNNANT products I own:
FamiliesNT...CNNANT 2009
GMP:Garmin...CNNANT 2010.30
GMP:Garmin...CNNANT 2010

What version of MSTK are you using?  Did something change between 2010 and 2012?

I have MSTK 1.75 beta, while it shows CN2009, it does not show CN 2011.4 or CN 2012.1

jbensman

I installed the program and like it.  It has some nice features.  I used the back up for some of my maps. 

Is there a way to compile .gmapi  instead of img?  I hate the mac converter so I would hate to have to create img then use the mac converter. 

I was hoping the program would convert to MAC/ make a MAC installer.  But it does not appear to do this.  The think I hate about the MAC converter is you have to unselect many maps before you can create a MAC installer.  I like the interface on that program much better.