News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

450T Route Error

Started by RevDoggin, July 16, 2011, 09:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RevDoggin

HI Guys,

I have a Garmin 450T and have encountered a problem. When I choose a waypoint to navigate to and hit the GO button the unit displays "Calculating..." and then it beeps and says "Route Calculation Error. Maps do not have routable roads in this area."

I don't think it did this before the last little firmware update. Unless I'm mixing it up with how my prehistoric eTrex worked, I think it used to just point a straight line toward my chosen destination and give me information like ETA, or distance to destination. I know my maps aren't routable but it seems like without routable maps it should at least point toward the destination like my old eTrex did.

Am I doing something wrong or do you think something has gone wrong with my 450?

Boyd

Try this - press Setup > Routing > Guidance Method. Set it to Off Road if it isn't already.

RevDoggin

Beautiful!

Thanks Boyd! That's all I needed. Maybe that setting was changed with my firmware install or something.

On a similar subject, if I did want to use this thing for occasional on-road trips would I buy the City Navigator maps? If so, how well does it work? I know it's not going to be as god as a larger screen mode that's tailored to driving but will it give me good routes for figuring out mileage?

Boyd

I haven't tried City Navigator on the Oregon. Personally, for the car I'd just get a cheap nuvi if you need something. It won't cost any more than the maps themselves (ridiculous, but true) and will include a power cord, a mount, much bigger/brighter screen, spoken directions, possibly lane assist and speed limit info, etc.

If you do use City Nav on the Oregon I'm sure it will be fine, but without those features. It should beep when a turn approaches. You could also buy Garmin's 24k topo for your area. It has the same routable roads and POI's as City Navigator. I posted a bunch of comparative screenshots in another thread here: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,1844.0.html

RevDoggin

Cool.
I'll investigate more and probably just use the Oregon for what it's intended and probably not worry about the on-road stuff much. I'm done fine so far with good old-fashioned maps.

:)

Thanks Boyd!
Mike