GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Southeast US Map

Started by John_M, February 01, 2009, 07:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

Oz I have not tried to make a Mapsource installer. I have moved img files to my gps using sendmap. It has been a long time from when I read the Tutorial about the  MapSetToolkit. I will give it a try. Should we start a new topic as not to hijack the  Oregon State Group Project?

-Oz-

Good call; I'm gonna try hand running it to see if I can find why it doesn't work.  I like it all loaded in MapSource and it makes it easier on new users.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

dhisum_dhisum

Oz,

I finally got the SE USA map by John M. converted with cGPSMapper and MapSetToolKit and made the installer. I will upload it now. Sorry, I was so excited that I did not change the default names, so it says gpsfiledepot. We should attribute the map to John M. I am sure you folks can manage that. I will attempt South Central tomorrow.

dhisum_dhisum

John,

unless I screwed something up while making the installer, it seems that on the southeast coast (parts of georgia etc.), are missing data. Interestingly, at zoom level of about 5 miles in Mapsource, these sections, where the data is missing, don't show the gridlines, but at higher zoom levels, the zoomlines are there. On closer inspection it would seem that a bunch of data is incomplete or missing. As in, most of road, water, contour and gnis data is missing for these sections. On your PDF map, it would be close to where the numbers 49 and 50 are printed. For example, Francis Marion National Forest on the coast does not have much info. I will keep adding as I look at the map more closely. Again, thanks for all the hard work. If there is some way I can help to fix the broken sections, I would more than happy to do that.

dhisum_dhisum

It would seem that I did screw up. I created the installer on another machine and this one does not seem to have the errors that the one I uploaded has. I am uploading this new one again.

John_M

dhisum_dhisum,

There is one section missing. The section in Louisiana at the mouth of the Mississippi river the Hydrography would not compile.

The img file names do have meaning. 

Position 1 and 2    The block number. Blocks 4 degree by 4 degree parts I have divided the map in to.

Position 3 and 4   The Latitude of the Northwest corner  of the square

Position 5, 6 and 7   The Longitude of the Northwest corner  of the square

Position 8     A number 1 to 4 showing what quarter of the degree the img file map is of . 1 is the Northwest, 2 is the Northeast, 3 is the Southwest, and 4 is the Southeast,

maps4gps

Quote from: John_M on February 02, 2009, 11:50:28 AM
dhisum_dhisum,
The section in Louisiana at the mouth of the Mississippi river the Hydrography would not compile.

That is an exceeding complex area of waterbodies and marshes.  I have terminated my compiles of 12minute quads in that area after 24hrs without producing a .img file.

dhisum_dhisum

yes, I  have experienced the insane amount of processing for nothing. Personally, I am just fine with that section missing. And I did see that the section was missing in the pdf map, so I expected it. Currently I am processing the South Central US to generate an installer. I will update later with the status. Thanks for explaining the naming scheme. I guess if I encounter an error, I can now tell you exactly where the error is occuring.

How is the crunching coming along for the rest of the US?

John_M

3 more of the  4 degree by 4 degree blocks to go on the SouthWest. 9 or 10 days of crunching.
The SouthWest will have all of Arizona and most of California, Nevada and Utah

The big question is what next NorthWest, NorthCentral or Northeast?

-Oz-

Lets try not putting up the same map multiple times.  It will only confuse people.

dhisum, when you're ready post here and I'll let you have access to John's map and you can just overwrite the version without the installer.  Unless we really want the installer version and the non version?

Also, please remember, maps are editable you don't have to add a new one each time.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

dhisum_dhisum

He he, well, I guess the simple answer is NorthWest, duh! ;D That I live in the northwest has obviously got nothing to do with it. Seriously though, Northwest is going to give you a hard time as the entire place is very mountainous and hence takes forever to complete.

Oz, I would much rather people verify the installer before we overwrite the Zip file provided by John. Once it is verified, I guess, you could just go ahead and overwrite the original zip file.

-Oz-

true, i'm downloading it now.

How did you make it (since mine kept failing).
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

dhisum_dhisum

There is something weird going on. For some reason, whenever I run mapsettoolkit, after initial processing, cGPSMapper keeps on printing errors after errors, but in the end it terminates successfully. I am wondering if I am inadvertently introducing errors. It did not work as in "Convert  failed" on my older machine but on my Quad Core 4GB machine, it worked just fine. To answer you, I don't think I did anything different except generate it on a faster/beefier machine.

John_M

Oz, dhisum_dhisum

The img's where make with cGPSMapper Shareware 97c if that makes a different. I used the Shareware version so I could use shapefiles directly.

Yes one copy of the map just the installer version.

Oz how do I add states so the map lookup on the home page will show the map.

-Oz-

In the edit map area you can select the states; just hold CTRL to select multiple states.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!