GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

loading garmin topo maps onto Etrex Vista hcx

Started by nu2hike, June 17, 2011, 08:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nu2hike

I purchased the Garmin TOPO 24k Southeast DVD. I tried loading some maps onto my gps, I got a message that said transfering data but when I tried to use it on my last hike there was nothing there!
Is there a way to check what data is on the unit ? On Mapsource it shows in a column on the left that I have 24 maps and list them below! The ones listed aren't the most recent ones I've tried to transfer to my unit. Can you help?
Thanks

maps4gps

When MapSource or BaseCamp sends data the GPSr it creates a gmapsupp.img file and overwrites any existing gmapsupp.img file on the GPSr.  See the tutorial : http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/
esp. step 8 about repeating steps 2-7 for including segments/quads from more than one mapset.

Can you determine how many total segments and total file size ae on the DVD, I am trying to determine this info for the six DVDs, but so far only have info on the NW and SW.

Boyd

When you see the list of map segments in Mapsource, you will also something like "24 maps - 350 MB" down at the bottom. You can compare that size to the file on your data card to see if they match.

On the unit itself, you would press something like menu > menu > setup > map and then tab across the icon at the top with an "i" in a circle. You should now see a list of all the segments you installed. This is what it looks like on my 60csx, so I'm assuming it's the same on the eTrex (or similar).

nu2hike

I have a 4gb micrs sd card. How much will I be able to put onto that card? I would like to load the entire SE 24k topo maps. Is that possible?
Also are the cards read only or can you copy over them?

Boyd

Cards are just like hard disks, you can read, write and erase files. 4GB will be the largest card you ever need for your unit as you will reach some other software limits before you fill the card. Maps consist of a collection of tiles that are sometimes called segments. These are what you see listed in the Maps pane in Mapsource. Your eTrex can only access a total of 2025 map segments, so you'll reach that limit before the 4GB limit.

I don't know how many segments are in the SE topo maps, but I'm sure they will all fit on your unit. You should use a USB (or built-in if you have one) SD card reader when sending the maps to the card instead of connecting the eTrex to the computer. The USB interface on the eTrex is s-l-o-w USB 1.0 and it will take hours longer to send the maps when compared to a fast USB 2.0 card reader.

nu2hike

Forgive my ignorance, but if I wanted to put the entire DVD onto my SD card would I have to use the map tool and select each region or state or is there an easier way to do it?
I do have a card reader on my laptop so I appreciate the heads up for that, because it was taking a long time to transfer data using the USB!

Seldom

You won't get the entire map on your GPSr.  See Boyd's comment about the 2025 segment limit above.

You can drag (marquee) a rectangle using the map select tool.  All the maps crossing the rectangle will be selected.  In MapSource they turn pink when selected.

Boyd

He says he has the Southeast 24k topo. Do you think that has more than 2000 segments? I wouldn't think so, but am not sure since my Northeast topo is on a pre-loaded card. I suspect you can transfer it all, but you will have to try.

As I said, use a USB 2.0 card reader, do not put the card in the GPS and send it there - that will take forever! Either way, start the transfer and then go do something else for awhile - like sleep  ;D

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on June 18, 2011, 09:33:35 PM
He says he has the Southeast 24k topo. Do you think that has more than 2000 segments?

Good point, but who knows, the files may total more than 4GB.  I don't own any Garmin Topos, but the one I just finished is 450 MB, and it's about the size of a southwest state.

maps4gps

I posted that question in April. 
Indrid was kind enough to answer: 'West=1814=3.83GB'
Red90 at the groundspeake forums provide Southwest = 1794, 3092.0 MB per MapSource
No other replies to either post.

maps4gps

Quote from: seldom_sn on June 18, 2011, 11:24:43 PM
Good point, but who knows, the files may total more than 4GB.  I don't own any Garmin Topos, but the one I just finished is 450 MB, and it's about the size of a southwest state.
If it is a full 6x7 degrees, it is more like 2 states; the 450MB is larger than my TX topo, but you are including more data types.