GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Minesota lake maps

Started by vontrapp, May 24, 2011, 07:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vontrapp

Loaded the minesota topo but the lake map says its not a valid mapsource program. How do I get it to work the file is loaded on my sd card but wont show up on gps.

maps4gps

Not sure what is meant by 'not a valid mapsource program' as what is downloaded should be the data for MapSource/BaseCamp to use.
For MapSource/BaseCamp to recognize the mapset and upload the data to the GPSr, the mapset must be installed and then MS/BC started.  There was a previous question about this mapset and it was suggested the poster contact the map author (who has never posted on this site). 
By the file name, it appears it uses the .rar compression.  What is in it could be 'raw' data file(s), a self-installing file, or a gmapsupp.img file.  Someone who has downloaded it and decompressed it would have to say.

jbensman

Quote from: maps4gps on May 25, 2011, 06:29:49 AM
Not sure what is meant by 'not a valid mapsource program' as what is downloaded should be the data for MapSource/BaseCamp to use.
For MapSource/BaseCamp to recognize the mapset and upload the data to the GPSr, the mapset must be installed and then MS/BC started.  There was a previous question about this mapset and it was suggested the poster contact the map author (who has never posted on this site). 
By the file name, it appears it uses the .rar compression.  What is in it could be 'raw' data file(s), a self-installing file, or a gmapsupp.img file.  Someone who has downloaded it and decompressed it would have to say.

Are you planning on doing a new topo map for MN?  If you are, the source data for the dept contours are on MN's GIS site.  (I could track down the link)  It should be pretty simple to add it to a new MN topo.

maps4gps

It is already done.  When it, or others, get uploaded, or even if it does, is another question.
The last bimothly USGS update included some additional areas 'backed' by 1/9 arc sec (3m) LIDAR data.   The computer I use to process the data went kaput 2 weeks ago.  I have been using an 8 year old computer to make the installers for States with a smaller data size; however, the 'source' files the newer computer created are too large for it to even open let alone do much processing of the data. 
With a .rar extension, I figured it was created in a UNIX environment by a government agency or university.
This data might be good to put into an overlay/transparent mapset, which I believe was suggested to a poster a few months ago. 
Also not sure if I want to ferret out various types of info individually for each State.  Time wise that is OK if only doing 1 or a few States, but way to time consuming (and inconsistent) to cover 35+ States.  I need to start spending time on items I have wanted to do for my local area/State and have not been able to get to for the past 3 years.

jbensman

Sorry to hear about your computer.

MN's GIS site has the dept contours as a 100 meg shapefile here:

ftp://ftp.dnr.state.mn.us/pub/deli/d29889249875190.zip

You could make it into a transparent img and add it to your MN mapset before you compile the installer. 

maps4gps

Neither IE nor Chrome can find that link.  Seams unusual with a http and two ftp.
I was not able to locate the data by going to the MNdnr site.
The older computer, may or may not be able to process a 100mb file.
Including a second map for lake data would likely be as confusing as the CA topo mapset.
The installer, screen shots and MAC installer have already been created,

jbensman

To save you time, I selected it and submitted it to the site.  I guess the link timed out.

Go here:  http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/data_search.html

Select Lake Bathymetic Contours

Click on the tool with the + and box, then click on the map.  A box will pop up where you enter your email

If your computer won't do it, I could make the img for you.  However, it may be too big to email so I am not sure how I could get you the img.

maps4gps

Thanks,

That appears to have worked.  Waiting for the email notice to download the data.

vontrapp

Thanks for all the help I'm pretty new at this and its a little bit of a learning curve.