GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MN Lake Depth Maps

Started by swimbyuagain, March 17, 2011, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swimbyuagain

I'm having some trouble editing the registry file for the MN Lake Depth Maps as required based on that maps authors required steps. Does anyone have any suggestions?

maps4gps

Contact the map author directly.  That mapset is not hosted on here, neither does the author seam to be active here, only placed a reference here to where the mapset is hosted.

swimbyuagain

I will try to contact the author. Last time I looked at that particular site, I didn't really see any contact info for the author. I'm not too familiar with all the icons on the bottom, but I would imagine one will help me contact the author. If anyone else has used the map, please let me know how you edited the registry file.

Thanks!

Indrid Cold

Quote from: swimbyuagain on March 17, 2011, 06:16:47 PM
I will try to contact the author. Last time I looked at that particular site, I didn't really see any contact info for the author. I'm not too familiar with all the icons on the bottom, but I would imagine one will help me contact the author. If anyone else has used the map, please let me know how you edited the registry file.

Thanks!
You can contact him from his profile page:
http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?action=profile;u=6924

Personally, if you are having trouble getting that far you might want to reconsider messing with your system registry.

pintailed

Am curious about this dataset as well.  Anyone have any more information on it?  Seems odd it would need to alter your registry.  Have not tried to install anything yet, curious if folks have been able to install it successfully, is it safe, etc?  Does GPSFileDepot check any links or postings of maps to make sure they are legit?

maps4gps

It is hard to say for sure.  To be used in MapSource/BaseCamp, entries must be made to the Windows registry.  Could be the map author simply has not learned how to make a self installing mapset file.  The term 'registry file' is new to me and I am not sure what the OP would be refering to.  Currently anyone can upload their mapset here; I do not know how much checking the moderators do; however, they have removed some inappropriate mapsets which looked to be copyright violations.  That map author has never posted here.   

Indrid Cold

that map hasn't been uploaded here, it's on an external site.

maps4gps

Correct.  The OP did ask about 'links or postings' - I took postings to mean mapsets uploaded here and was thinking that applied to links also.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: maps4gps on May 17, 2011, 07:03:32 PM
Correct.  The OP did ask about 'links or postings' - I took postings to mean mapsets uploaded here and was thinking that applied to links also.

As stated above, it's a user linked map. There is no way for us to check that map in anyway. Me, I wouldn't use it.

Not in a boat, not with a goat:/