GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

60Csx.. How did I gain 2 miles overnight?

Started by TLock, May 04, 2011, 07:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLock

On a recent ski camping trip I woke up the next morning to find we had gained 2+ miles to our total of 5+ the night before...(I also think we gained 1000 vert feet to our total of 2000 the night before.  I turned it off overnight, there was certainly a pressure change as it was blowing hard at dark but calm at dawn...I can't imagine what could explain such changes...Any thoughts? 
Thanks in advance, Tim

Seldom

Garmins will create "wander" errors if sitting still and recording at a specific time interval (sampling set at record by time, or auto).  The result of such behavior will be a "spiderweb" pattern centered on the location of the stationary GPSr.  The radius of the spider web should be about the radius of accuracy of the GPSr, or about 10 meters. 

I've generated a mile of accumulated error if my 60csx is sitting on a rock in my back yard for an hour or so.  This error can be eliminated if your sampling is set to record by distance and the distance is set to about 10 meters.

I realize this may not explain your situation if you turned your GPSr off as soon as you stopped traveling and turned it on right when you started.

maps4gps

Seldom

Sounds like he was climbing in his sleep.  Hope he had a good belay. 8)

TLock

Thanks for the info...Sounds like i need to live with it.

Indrid Cold

You didn't camp on an ice flow?

Did you move locations after turning off the gps and then turn it on?

Seldom

Quote from: TLock on May 07, 2011, 07:27:36 AM
Thanks for the info...Sounds like i need to live with it.
To set up to record by distance the button sequence is:
Menu|Menu|Tracks|Setup|Record Method|Distance (select your distance).

Setting the distance to 30 feet should eliminate most of those errors.

60csxjo

Good info that I never new about, one question when when you get to distance my 60csx is in miles so is there a way to change from miles to feet? I set it at .01 miles.

Seldom

Menu|Menu|Setup|Units|(select yards, not miles)

60csxjo

menu,menu,tracks,setup.  When I get to distance it gives me 3 choices > distance,time or auto.
When I high light Interval a drop down menu comes up with the numbers 0 thru 9, beside the 3 is a - and beside the 6 is a + below those are up and down arrows and at the bottom is an ok . Seems that I'm missing away to select a unit of measure ??

Seldom

60csxjo