News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

taiwan topo map

Started by LIHIKER, March 31, 2011, 06:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LIHIKER

hi,

I am going on a hiking trip in Taiwan  this October, and I was looking for some free topo map. I don't want to buy Garmin's topo map since it is expensive for a trip that would last two weeks. I have tried making my own with Mobile Atlas Creater in conjunction with OK map, but the amount of data is too massive due to the limit of 100 tiles when making raster maps.  I also tried the topo map that is offer here, but it is to primitive for my taste.
    Does anyone know any other map deposit that have a good topo map of Taiwan...

thx....

Indrid Cold

This would be a case where I would purchase Garmin"s map. If you are traveling for a hiking trip I wouldn't recommend going with some homemade untested map, would you fly there in a homemade untested airplane?

LIHIKER

Indrid,

Thanks for you concern, but I always bring a paper topo map of the area that I hike and a compass. This way  I am not depending on the gps alone -- can not depend on the batteries lasting too long. I wanted a topo map on my gps so I can referring to my gps once a while without take out the paper topo map...Buying a 200 dollar  topo map is still expensive for a 2 week trip.
    thanks...

maps4gps

The scale of the source data for my world map is 1:1,000,000 or about 16 miles to the inch.
It would not be suitable for a hiking adventure any more than a paper map at that scale.
Have you looked at garmin.na1400.info?  It is the OpenStreetMap project data.  May or may not have the trails you would be hiking.  Somewhere on their wiki is also a program to convert SRTM elevation data to contours. 
What GPSr unit will you be using?
You might be able to make an overlay mapset of contour lines along the hiking trails using gpsmapedit.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: LIHIKER on April 03, 2011, 06:25:37 PM
Buying a 200 dollar  topo map is still expensive for a 2 week trip.
In that case I would see if I could get it as a pre-programmed datacard and sell it once I was done with it. Could end up costing nothing that way.

You mentioned that it was a hiking trip, not a trip that you will hike while one.

LIHIKER

Quote from: maps4gps on April 03, 2011, 07:33:46 PM
The scale of the source data for my world map is 1:1,000,000 or about 16 miles to the inch.
It would not be suitable for a hiking adventure any more than a paper map at that scale.
Have you looked at garmin.na1400.info?  It is the OpenStreetMap project data.  May or may not have the trails you would be hiking.  Somewhere on their wiki is also a program to convert SRTM elevation data to contours. 
What GPSr unit will you be using?
You might be able to make an overlay mapset of contour lines along the hiking trails using gpsmapedit.

Thanks, I have looked at the website and it just have routable maps. No topo. I have found map that contains the topo information of Taiwan but no road info. So got a pdf of the national park that outlines the trails and roads, and using OKmap I calibrate the map. Thus showing the topo information and plus road info.
Put this on my 400t and it works. As I said before this will be a purely referral not base it on navigation. That would be up to Trip leader...

thanks, Reinhard