GPSFileDepot.com

Tutorial for converting a shape file into a gmapi file for Garmin units?

Started by wredmonds, March 10, 2011, 10:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wredmonds

I was able to merge maps fine using Mapwel, but even after setting the map as "Transparent" it still covers up the built in maps.  Even tried setting the Draw Priority all the way up and all the way down with no luck.

maps4gps

Transparent is a misnomer; better verbage would be overlay.  The data in such a mapset displays on top of other data.  This is generally OK for point and lines; however, polygons will cover-up the 'base map'  data.  jbensman 'solved' this issue by using a custom type for the polygon consisting of alternating dots of colors and clear points between them.  Thus enough of the 'base map' features are visible to tell they are there and what they are. 

wredmonds

Makes sense - thx. 

I wonder if there is any way to get that custom type instead of recreating the wheel???

jbensman

Its copyrighted.  As long as it is for non commerical use, I will grant you permision to use the typ file from Eastern Land Owership (it will be installed in the directory with the img files).  If you only have need for one type of polygon, use forest.  If you need more types of polygons, let me know and I can tell you some more you can use.  You still have to set the map to transparent.

wredmonds

Thanks - I just got through going into the User Defined Styles and turning off every other pixel and then turning off the background and it works great.  I can still see the other map data that you had created underneath my new polygons.