GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Topo Process Program (BETA!)

Started by -Oz-, December 14, 2008, 04:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Oz-

Tsnake: Thats because it needs vb6 dependencies (stupid language if you can't include them easily); download from here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tools/vbrun60sp6.exe

if that doesn't fix it that means that is in a different set of files and I'll post it.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Tsnake

Nope,
I installed the vb6 thing and it worked.  I just used the gnis part and it was great.  I will try the rest of them once I download more data.

Tsnake

savage

It would be nice if the topo process could rename the MP files after the .img file has been generated. This would allow us to kill and restart the process.
This is by far the slowest and the most painful part of the entire process.

-Oz-

it could rename them, what exactly are you suggesting?

i think i'm having a hard time understanding.  The program could rename, move, etc?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

savage

The idea is to be able to restart the process in case it was interrupted. You could rename the xxxxxxxx.MP file to xxxxxxxx.MP_

-Oz-

savage: your wish is my command, v1.0.18
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

savage

Thank you. I will try it later this week-end.

n2stitch

Question:  Does the Topo Process program download data?  If so, does it work if you've already completed the downloading?  Thanks!

Lalita

-Oz-

It does download some data.

Will it work if you're downloaded it; that depends.  The transportation data - no; it needs to download it on its own.  GNIS - no; water - yes (doesn't download that); dem - yes (doesn't download that).
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

n2stitch

Thanks for the info.  I'm not particularly computer-talented, so work best with a step by step tutorial.  Your program sounds great, but I probably better stick with the tutorial method.

I'm kind of leery of steps 8 and 9.  I have an older computer, and ony about 2 G of RAM so am not at all sure it can even handle it.  I am ever so slowly following the tutorial.

-Oz-

it'll just take awhile.  I did it on my laptop with 1gb ram.  Now it has 2gb and its better.

What software are you using; in global mapper you can export the contours and then export the rest and combine them in dos and that got rid of a lot of my memory errors.

All this program does it automate some of the steps btw.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

n2stitch

I don't have GM.  I have dem2topo, FWTools, Postgresql, GPSMapedit, & cGPSmapper.  I also use MapWindow GIS if I need to reproject shape files into different datums/coordinate systems.

I'm currently still in step 1 (processing the dem data), but have already downloaded the water and transportation.  My most ambitious map project to date had been a transparent map of some trails, so this should be rather interesting.  Glad to hear it can be done with the 2G of ram.

Thank you so much for all of your help and patience.  I feel a bit like an idiot trying this, but the worst thing that will happen is I won't end up with a completed map. Best case I'll have my state completed and posted for all the world to suffer enjoy.  :P

Lalita

-Oz-

hehe.  We're here to help.

Which state are you working on?  And using this program here you can skip dem2topo; it can do it for you once you download all the tif's, its more automated that way.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

n2stitch

I'm working on Missouri, and am close to halfway through the dem data.  I'll probably just stick with dem2topo because my husband and I share a computer, so I can select a smaller group of files to run during the night or while we're off to work.

-Oz-

new version due to gnis updating the file names
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!