GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Oregon 450 software

Started by Kafn8td, February 03, 2011, 10:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kafn8td

New guy here that after lurking on this site has decided to buy the Oregon 450.  I still have one question that remains unanswered though.  The 450 doesn't come with any PC map software.  If I want to save my tracks to a map on my computer, can I pretty much use any map software?

I will mainly use it for hiking here at home, but I also take trip outside the US.  As an example we have an upcoming Peru trip where I get on a boat and travel on the amazon for about 12 hours until we get to our destination.  When I return I would like to be able to drop the tracks on a map and see where I have been.  I don't need it for navigation as we have the locals for that.

Edit - Wanted to add the last GPS I used was in the military.  It gave us Longitude and latitude and came with paper maps so we could plot our location! 

Indrid Cold

You're going to want to download BaseCamp from Garmin's website. They don't include it with GPS units as by the time you purchase a retail box, you will need to download an update anyway to have a furred version.

babj615

Quote from: Kafn8td on February 03, 2011, 10:32:24 AM
Edit - Wanted to add the last GPS I used was in the military.  It gave us Longitude and latitude and came with paper maps so we could plot our location!  

Well then, you are in for a real treat!

Do grab a copy of BaseCamp for saving data.

I also recommend doing a complete Directory backup of your 450 from time to time... saves a lot of headaches!

AND run the Garmin Update to get the latest release Firmware, or visit http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions+x50 to get the latest Beta!

Enjoy!
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Kafn8td

Awesome, thanks for the info.  I'm pretty excited at the possibilities.  My main hobby is photography, and I would love to be able to know the exact location of my shots.  I think I should be able to use Microsoft Pro Photo tools and synch the time the picture was taken with my GPS track and have it automatically do it for me. 

jbensman

Quote from: Kafn8td on February 03, 2011, 10:32:24 AM
Wanted to add the last GPS I used was in the military.  It gave us Longitude and latitude and came with paper maps so we could plot our location! 

I remember those days with my Garmin GPS 12.  I'd set it to UTM and then use a plastic overlay to plot my location.  I'm glad I know how to do it (and read a map and compass), but a GPS is much more fun!

PS.  Don't get the latest beta for the 50s.  It does not add any functionality and has some serious issues.  

Seldom

Quote from: Kafn8td on February 03, 2011, 02:57:26 PM
I think I should be able to use Microsoft Pro Photo tools and synch the time the picture was taken with my GPS track and have it automatically do it for me.  

If you like Microsoft Pro Photo, you should look at Geosetter.  Lots more synching and metadata editing features than in Pro Photo.  You can even synch images without a time stamp to waypoints.