GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Converting raster landcover data to shapefiles

Started by Boyd, December 23, 2010, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

This is really puzzling. I opened the sourcefile that I downloaded in both GM 11 and GM 12 and it looks clean (like the viewer screenshot above). I then tried exporting sections of it and they also look clean.

But somehow I suspect compression must be the culprit. I am going to want to re-do a lot of stuff now and get it right. How frustrating!  >:(

Seldom

I got my original IMG (graphic) and TIF files from the Seamless Server perhaps a year ago.  Zooming tight to both of them shows well defined square pixels.  Is it possible you got a JPG or JPG2000?

maps4gps

Boyd,  
  Looks like that second file may have been reprojected.  Earlier today I was thinking it might have something to do with reprojecting the source in Abers to Geographic; however, it check out OK.  Something is not right with yours.    A compression algorthym not specifically intended to preserve all the original values could produce such results.  

When I downloaded the data a few years ago, it was via the Seamless server and defining 2x6 degree areas.  Did not expect to make you day, but certainly did not want to break it.

Seldom_sn,
  I last looked at the data about 2 1/2 years ago.  I will see if I can find that list - I do remember the values GM gave could be a few units different, but nothing close to another classification type so there was no confustion with which was which.
  I did not have much luck yesterday finding the webpages on NLCD data I remember from years ago.  Not even a reference to the 2007 data that was in the works then.

Boyd

You know, I think I know how this happened. I believe I resampled the images at somewhat lower resolution after reading that article I linked to earlier

QuoteUSGS encourages users to aggregate the data into 3 x 3 or 5 x 5 pixel blocks (in other words, to decrease spatial resolution from 30 meters to 90 or 150 meters)

But that was in reference to the 1992 imagery, so I shouldn't have done it with the 2001 imagery which is obviously a lot cleaner. Resampling would certainly create a problem like the one I'm seeing.

Aaargh >:(  Well, thanks guys for being persistent in pointing out this problem. Now I'll need to do a bunch of stuff again, but should get much better results.

[edit]I also thought about re-projection being a problem, but after trying it doesn't seem to be. It was definitely the resampling.

maps4gps

Quote from: seldom_sn on January 19, 2011, 04:01:31 PM
maps4gps, do you have a link to a site that shows the RGB assignment for each NLCD landcover type?  Right now I'm assigning them by eye, assuming that Dark Green (028,102,051) is Evergreen, etc.

I do not think this is the site I used; however these seem to be about right:
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/people/duda/files/cat.tbl

Seldom

Thanks maps4gps, as you say, they are not quite what GM reports, but they're generally only one or two bits off.

ddabcd277

Hello,

This program will be very helpful for automatic vectorization:
-> Easy Trace Pro
Free full version 7.99

Video Lessons:
http://www.easytrace.com/getfile.php?file=ETOverviewEng.htm

http://www.easytrace.com/site/english/technology/video_list.html

Cheers,