GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

A few questions...

Started by paradoxer, December 12, 2010, 06:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

A 60CSX can only take one gmapsupp.img.  Unlike newer models which can take multiple IMG files, as long as they have different names.  You can select multiple maps to go in the gmapsupp.img though. See
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/ and select as many products as you want from the box where you see "Arizona Topo" in the tutorial.

Boyd

If I understand, the problem is that one of the maps the OP wants to use is just a .img file, and doesn't have an installer. On the Mac, not real sure how you would do all this. On Windows, you should be able to use this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/

After doing it, you could convert to a Mac installer using this: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3898

But I'm still not sure if that will do what you want. Sorry...

paradoxer

Boyd,

You are correct.  I'm thinking I won't be updating maps on my GPS that often.  I may just use the Windows machine in my office for everything.  I'll try the tutorial you linked here....I don't have a .tbd file with the .img so hopefully it works the way it should. 

Is it possible to bounce back and forth between two machines?  In other words, can I connect my GPS to Windows and load maps, and then connect it to my Mac and load other maps?  For most things my Mac will be fine, but for the occasional situation like the one I currently have it would be nice to just connect to Windows and do what I need to do...

One more question: When MapInstaller puts maps onto the GPS, is it basically recreating the gsuppmap.img file on the card?  If this is the case, then it makes sense why I can see the img I want once I put it into the Garmin folder on the card, but then it disappears when I go to load other maps.  This is why I thought if I could get the img converted to a gmapi, I could treat it just as the other maps I have to install...

Boyd

I don't really use Basecamp for anything but downloading BirdsEye imagery, so I'm not sure what the issues are there. It does allow you to "sync" waypoints, but I think that only works with new models.

Aside from that, I don't see any issues bouncing between the Mac and Windows with your 60csx - I've done it myself. On your unit, everytime you send waypoints it erases everything on the GPS and replaces it with what you're sending. So as long as you keep the same waypoints on all your computers, it should be fine.

Same with maps. The 60csx only recognizes one map file and it must be named gmapsupp.img. So sending a new map erases the old one. The issue is that you can send multiple maps to a single gmapsupp.img file if you bundle them together in Mapsource (does MapInstall also do this? Not sure). That's the only way to get more than one map stored on your GPS. Of course, you can save copies of the different gmapsupp.img files on your computer, and just drag/drop them to the card as needed. But that won't let you combine maps.

jbensman

Quote from: seldom_sn on December 16, 2010, 03:31:13 AM
A 60CSX can only take one gmapsupp.img.  Unlike newer models which can take multiple IMG files, as long as they have different names.  You can select multiple maps to go in the gmapsupp.img though. See
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/ and select as many products as you want from the box where you see "Arizona Topo" in the tutorial.

That is wrong, the 60csx WILL accept a second mapset named. GMAPBMAP.IMG if I remember correctly.  

The file you are trying to load is already compiled so if you rename it GMAPBMAP.IMG and put it on your GPS with a file manager (or put it on the GPS and then remane it), if I remember correctly the GPS will recognize it.  So then load the other map to the GPS and you will have both on the 60CSX

paradoxer

The "if I remember correctly" makes me nervous  ;D but I'll try it...

Thanks!

jbensman

If I don't remember correctly, it just won't regognize the map.  Its the name Garmin uses for a basemap. 

Boyd

I didn't think that worked, but give it a try. On the 60csx, the basemap is actually burned into ROM where you can't mess with it.

paradoxer

Nope, didn't work.

I think I'll try to get the img into windows and convert it to a gmapi file and then put it on my Mac...then use mapinstall...

I really thought Garmin was further along with Mac software....this reminds me of ten years ago...

Indrid Cold

Quote from: paradoxer on December 17, 2010, 10:05:40 PM
Nope, didn't work.

I think I'll try to get the img into windows and convert it to a gmapi file and then put it on my Mac...then use mapinstall...

I really thought Garmin was further along with Mac software....this reminds me of ten years ago...

their Mac software works better than their Windows software:)

You really need to quit beating you head against the rocks and contact the map author and request the source .img files to do what you want.

Boyd

Quote from: paradoxer on December 17, 2010, 10:05:40 PMI really thought Garmin was further along with Mac software....this reminds me of ten years ago...

I agree that Garmin is doing a nice job on the Mac now. I don't think you're seeing a clear picture here. First, you have an old GPS that only recognizes a single map file. The new models (Oregon, Dakota, Colorady, GPSMap 76 and 62) don't have this restriction. You can have multiple files and name them whatever you like.

But more importantly, as far as Garmin is concerned, we are all "hackers". They don't support maps made by unauthorized third parties. They consider their map format proprietary and the only reason we can make our own maps is due to some people reverse engineering it.

So the Garmin software works fine on the Mac. It's the third party software like cgpsmapper and MapsetToolkit that runs on Windows. Garmin doesn't approve of even using these, although happily they haven't done anything to stop them.

jbensman

So is what you are needing is the ability to get the map into mapsource/basecamp so you can combine it with another map to send to your GPS?

If that is the case, if I recall correctly, I think KS has quite a bite of land ownership data on thier GIS site, if that is the case, I can add KS to either Eastern or Western Publicland ownership.  Then you could combine it on your computer and send to the GPS. 

Leaving for the day but I can look at this tonight. 

jbensman

I checked KS GIS site I found the shape file for the 2010 WIHAs and also a file that looks like it has state and federal land and some other stuff like Nature Conservancy.  So I made a KS map for Eastern Land Ownership.  Since you need the MAC version I am going to wait until tommorow and upload a windoows and MAC installer.  I've found some more trail data for KS and I plan to upload a new version (MAC and Windows) tommorow.  So watch for the new installers tommorow.  The installers will load Eastern land Ownnership and My Trails (which will both overlay your topo map) into Basecamp.  Then you can selct all the maps and send them to your 60csx.

What the heck are WIHAs anyway?  Do they stay the same each year or will I need to update the map each year?

jbensman

New installer for Eastern Land Ownership has been uploaded

jtkt1981

Quote from: jbensman on December 18, 2010, 07:47:18 PM
What the heck are WIHAs anyway?  Do they stay the same each year or will I need to update the map each year?

I have no knowledge of these, but a few online searches yielded the following:

Walk-In Hunting Access (WIHA) tracts in Kansas.

WIHA property can be removed from the program at any time; in this case "No Longer Enrolled in WIHA" signs will be posted. Once these signs are posted, access is prohibited.