GPSFileDepot.com

downloading NJ topo to hard drive Vista Pro

Started by Edsfind, January 25, 2010, 04:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edsfind

i hate vista every time i try to down load somthing i can;t find it, trying to down load NJ TOPO, i have garmin mapsorce all ready loaded and have city nav NT, i downloaded the file can't find it,i tryed running it, i thought it would run and find the garmin folder, any help,,

-Oz-

I assume you're installing this map:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/114/

if you did it should have installed to MapSource when you used the installer file provided then you can just follow this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Edsfind

Thanks for the fast reply, i know how to load the map to the gps, i can't find the file or it will not run from the down load, with window xp i could just save it in a folder and run it, but with this vista just can't find the file and when i save can't seem to find it ! i thought i could run it and it would load to mapsorce, am i doing somthing wrong,

-Oz-

It normally saves it to the Downloads folder which is accesible in a number of ways including windows explorer.

Once you run it it will just load to MapSource.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

In Mapsource try View > Switch to Product. Do you see the map listed there? I am running mapsource under vista and have no issues.

Edsfind

no i see my blue chart, i made a new folder and downloaded to that still went somwhere else,

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Edsfind on January 26, 2010, 04:44:11 AM
no i see my blue chart, i made a new folder and downloaded to that still went somwhere else,
Lets try this, what software did you use to download the map from this site?

Jimbob

I had a situation like this at one point using 64 vista. Try going to the main menu, click view, then click switch to product. Alist of loaded maps should show. At the time I tried this the maps would not show in the upper left map display box.

Notice that that was already suggested. sorry When you click to download do not click save, click run and the installer should then place the map directly in map source with out the need for you to be concerned as to it's location.

Edsfind

loaded from the site,windows, no trouble with my other computer that has XP, SEARCHED the net they could be this and that, i tryed turning off all fire walls, still gets lost,

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Edsfind on January 27, 2010, 04:53:15 PM
loaded from the site,windows, no trouble with my other computer that has XP, SEARCHED the net they could be this and that, i tryed turning off all fire walls, still gets lost,
Downloaded with Firefox, explorer, safari???
Without that all I have for you is:
Just open the downloads window in the browser and select the download file and right click on it to open the folder containing. Also you could just double click on the file name in that window and the installer should run.

Edsfind

running explorer,tryed what you said, i can see the files download but they just go away, i tryed puting it in other folders,it just is not there,and when i try to direct it to a folder it says its going to temp folder, but its not there its crazy, some people say its AVG i turn it off,fire wall is off,its like it gets deleted some how. i have AVG 8.5.

Indrid Cold

Uncheck the Close this dialog box when download completes and when you're done with the download, click the Open Folder button

Edsfind

the window gos away,i tryed it both ways saveing it and running it, its funny when i direct it to a folder i want it into it still says its saving it to the temp folder but its not there,i know its downloading it takes about 10 min,but if its saved on this computer i don;t know where looked all over,

Indrid Cold

Edsfind

man i shut everything down, still no go,i guess i will save it to a cd on my other computer and load it from that, that downloads fine with XP, must be some kind of security thing