GPSFileDepot.com

Using GPX files (or other files for that matter....) on Legend HCx

Started by erdejo, January 20, 2010, 11:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdejo

Hello to all,

I am a newbie to the "Handheld GPS receiver scene", but have been lurking here for a while.... I do have a Garmin Nuvi 765T, but that is still different from the Legend HCx.  ;D

After searching the site here for a while I have not been able to find the answer to my problem.... So, I decided to take the plunge and post it here.
I recently purchased a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx and have a 4Gb card with it. I downloaded all the USA 24k TOPO maps and installed as much of those as I could before I ran out of space (either on amount of segments or space on card, can't remember of the top of my head).

I also found a GPX file that I downloaded that has a couple of waypoints, tracks and routes in the the Mobile Bay area (where I live....). Right after I installed the maps to my card using MapSource, I also used it to install the content of that GPX file to my card.
The problem is that when I put my card in the Legend and start it up, it does seem to show the TOPO maps (at least all the segments are checked in the map info section...) but I can't seem to make the points, tracks or routes show up at all?!?!?
I have tried to zoom into the area of the map where they are supposed to be located but when I do "Find" --> "Waypoints" then it still doesn't show anything in that window. And on the map I also don't (seem to) see any waypoints.....

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Is it just the fact that one can not load the GPX files or its contents (from MapSource) onto the memory card? And do I need to connect the Garmin to my computer, then find the unit and then upload the GPX or points, etc. directly to the unit?
I did leave enough room (approx. 500Mb) on the card to add some of these things. I mean, doesn't the unit even save the tracks (or tracklogs) directly to the card anyway (or at least after you set it up to do so....)?

Anyway, I feel it must be something very simple and I am probably close but "no cigar...". I can see if I can upload the GPX file if that helps......?!?!?

Thanx in advance for any help offered. Eric

Ooh, P.S. is there also an easy way to switch back to the Base map? Or do I have to de-select all 2025 segments and then re-select the base map....? The latter seems a bit overkill and will probably take forever and eat all my batteries....?!?!

Boyd

Quote from: erdejo on January 20, 2010, 11:32:51 AMIs it just the fact that one can not load the GPX files or its contents (from MapSource) onto the memory card? And do I need to connect the Garmin to my computer, then find the unit and then upload the GPX or points, etc. directly to the unit?

Yes, I believe that's it. Unlike your Nuvi (and the Oregon/Colorado/Dakota), the eTrex is an older design which stores everything but the map in protected internal memory which can only be accessed by Mapsource. So open the .gpx file in Mapsource and you should see waypoints, tracks and routes under the appropriate tab on the left of the screen. Then use "send to device" and select the eTrex itself, not the data card. Be sure that the items you want to send are checked in the dialog box (waypoints, tracks or routes). After doing this, they should appear as waypoints on the eTrex. You can use the map settings menu to control what zoom level makes them visible.

maps4gps

From the menu with the check boxes for the individual segment - press menu - this will show a list of the mapsets where you can hide/show by mapset (or every mapset available to the unit).  For individual mapset the terminalogy has confused some as it is what you want to do not the current status (like the previous menu with the check boxes is)