GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Noob Questions

Started by Krooz, January 04, 2010, 04:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krooz

I received a Nuvi 205W for Christmas and am in the learning curve with it. This is not my first exposure to GPS since I have a charter/plotter in my boat but is the first that I've tried to get creative with. I stumbled onto this site during my searching.

Anyway, I've downloaded Mapsource and "South East United States - With Installer" with hopes of putting topos into the GPS for use off road - mainly so I can venture into the woods and still make it back to the truck in the dark.

My problem is that I can't open any of the files with any of the software I have  - Mapsource, PaintShop Pro etc. So am I missing something here (apparently!) and forging ahead too quickly? I believe the 205W is capable of accepting a topo download, correct?

Thanks for any advice or guidance!

Indrid Cold

Run the installer you download and the maps will be installed into MapSource, you don't use MapSource's open menu to use the maps.

For loading into your GPSr, see the following tutorial:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Krooz

OK, I reinstalled SE USA and I see it pops up in the Mapsource dropdown... and it works. Thanks!

Krooz

Excellent. Selected all the grids to cover the state of SC and transferred it right to the Nuvi - no problem. I appreciate the help....