GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New User Garmin 550 Question

Started by MaxManTheCat, December 21, 2009, 05:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxManTheCat

I have an Oregon 550 that I use on the trail and for Geocaching.  I see an option on the screen for "3D View" on the Menu screen.  When I select this item, I am told that Maps do not contain sufficient data to use this feature.  What type map is required to use this feature, and is there an example of what this feature looks like on the Web?  Location of interest is Ohio USA.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Boyd

You need a map which contains DEM (digital elevation model) data for this feature to work. I have an Oregon 400t which includes Garmin's US Topo 100k maps with DEM. <Yawn> I don't think you're missing anything. The view only covers a small area and is very low resolution and slow to draw on the screen. If you live in a mountainous area, it might be of interest. Otherwise, I don't find it useful in the least and after looking at it a couple times when I first got the unit, I have not checked it out since then.

The only way you will be able to use this feature is to purchase one of Garmin's Topo map products (100k or 24k US Topo maps). Garmin has never published their map format. Third party maps (like the ones on this site) are made with a compiler which does not support this feature.

Here's a screenshot from Garmin's site.

MaxManTheCat

Thanks Boyd! This may well be a feature I don't need to follow up on.  I am new to this site and totally amazed at what a fantastic resource it is!!  Thank You To All the Supporters, I will be one soon... :)