Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forums Search:  

Author Topic: New Maps for Canada, US and Mexico  (Read 2148 times)

popej

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: New Maps for Canada, US and Mexico
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 04:45:53 AM »
Green on Mount Adams is a bit confusing. It looks like a forest to me, but actually it is some reserved or protected area?

sockmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »
PopeJ,

The Mt Adams area is both forest and a protected area.  It is managed by the US Forest Service.  The mountain is classified as a wilderness area while the rest of the Gifford Pinchot Nat Forest is all the way from "primitive" to logging.  It's little sister, 40 miles to the west is Mt St Helens, to the east is the Yakima Indian Reservation.

Early on I adopted the green color in my typ, it is/was the color used on many cgpsmapper maps here and my old Garmin 24k maps.  Of course the end user can change (with editor) what colors, etc suit them.

Now for me to bow to you.  Your maps were the biggest inspiration taking me down the osm/mkgmap  rabbit hole.   A year or two ago your maps replaced the open andro maps I had on Orux and my gps's and then I moved on from there...I'm kinda biased to another map at the moment though...

Given that there seems to be a just handful of mkgmap mapping mavens I've had to scour the web for answers (as you know there is no one stop shop) and over the past decade you have posted and contributed all over the place, which is what it takes to fill in the blanks about map making.  Gmaptool comes in handy too.  Thank You sir!

popej

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2020, 01:18:24 AM »
Thanks for your kind words!

I think maps of US are quite difficult to create from OSM. I suggest to make protected areas semi-transparent, because they might cover other details. See for example islands near Los Angeles.

sockmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2020, 06:03:10 AM »
PopeJ,

I use the default typ and style, earlier various known wilderness/protected areas, on land, did not render at all.  After trial and error, a lot, using different typ and style I found the problem.  One of the results was the marine areas such as you pointed out were "nature reserve" color.  I did play around with draw order and resolution but found, for now, the least worst solution is to keep, as is.  I found that almost all those marine areas, on any of my maps are just sea/ocean.  In the case of those island areas near Los Angeles there may be some oil platforms, but I have # all of those sorts of point, lines and poly's in the style sheets, so they won't show up anyway.  As I pointed out in my first post, OSM is Euro centered so I've adapted the best I can for US and North America in general given I'm still learning the fine art of osm/mkgmap mapmaking.

sockmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »
After my last update I wondered why most if not all of the maps had grown so much, up to 40% larger!  It looks like the DEM (3d/shading) values were the cause.  Now just using basic values and it doesn't appear to affect the visuals that I can tell.  The next round of updates will be smaller download and map size;  I've also added in where state/province will display big and boldly in base camp and gps, but only normal size in orux maps

anything