GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

All my BaseCamp routes have lost all elevation graphs

Started by daveg, August 10, 2017, 09:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

I am about to go on a 3-week cycle trip and need the elevations for each leg of the journey. I have many routes stored on BaseCamp and all of them used to show the elevation graph but all of a sudden they have ALL lost the graph. The message is 'The current map does not contain any elevation data for this route(s)'. It's got to be something I have touched either on BaseCamp or my Edge Touring, but what? Can anyone help as I have tried three times to get help from BaseCamp support and it's not happening, as I keep getting links that don't help? Feel free to email me if its easier. THANKS

Boyd

What map are you using? Garmin's 24k topo and 100k topo maps include DEM (Digital Elevation Model) data which provide elevations for any point on the map. But AFAIK, these are the only maps with this kind of data. Garmin has never revealed how they embed this data in a map, and there are no third party tools for others to use. So, for example, none of the maps on this site include DEM data.

Now in the past, I think Garmin's software would apply elevations from wherever your track/route crossed an elevation contour on a regular topo map. Not sure if that system is still supported on their newer software and devices.

This isn't a feature I've ever used though, and I also dislike Basecamp and rarely use it. So I can't offer specific suggestions on settings, etc. But if you have switched from using a Garmin topo map to a third party map, that could be the problem.

popej

Quote from: Boyd on August 10, 2017, 09:46:00 AM
Now in the past, I think Garmin's software would apply elevations from wherever your track/route crossed an elevation contour on a regular topo map. Not sure if that system is still supported on their newer software and devices.
It still works in BaseCamp.

duvivis

Current basecamp 4.7.0 will not show an elevation graph on a route prepared on a DEM enhanced map (Talky toaster). If a garmin topo map (much inferior in quality) is used an elevation graph will be displayed even though the TT maps show elevations in the route properties and in the gpx route file. A message always comes up that ' 'this map has no elevation data on it'.
Presumably this is just Garmin trying to keep any competition at a disadvantage.
Also basecamp will not give predicted ascent and descents for a route though you can get the information from the track after you have done the route. - pretty useless.
Memory map using the same route files will give a elevation graph and total ups and downs.
However basecamp is a bit more extensive so I guess one has to put up with these restrictions?

Boyd

Quote from: duvivis on October 28, 2019, 11:38:49 AM
Current basecamp 4.7.0 will not show an elevation graph on a route prepared on a DEM enhanced map (Talky toaster).

What does "DEM enhanced" mean? Garmin has never revealed their DEM format, and it has been a mystery to third party mapmakers for many years. Within the past couple years, somebody has finally "cracked" the format and come up with rudimentary tools for putting DEM into third party maps. I looked at this about a year ago and it appeared very complicated and also limited as to the format and resolution of the DEM, so I didn't try implementing it in my own maps.

Are you sure that TalkyToaster is really including Garmin-compatible DEM in their maps? The message  "this map has no elevation data" implies that the map does not really contain Garmin-compatible DEM. Regardless, I'd say that you do "have to put up with these restrictions".  :(  Garmin has discontinued Basecamp and there will be no further updates. "It is what it is".

And Garmin added a final insult to third party mapmakers. Old-style registry-format maps will no loger work correctly - they look fine in Basecamp but the data is not transferred to the GPS. This problem affects almost all the Windows versions of maps on this site (the Mac versions are not affected however, as they use a different format).

So.... "thanks, Garmin".  >:(