GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Basecamp

Started by fredb38, May 02, 2016, 03:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredb38

I have been using Mapsoure for years but it is very outdated.
I have downloaded Basecamp for my computer. I have the latest version of gmapsupp.img. (Garmin City Navigator North America)
Can I get Basecamp to use this file?
Right now Basecamp says I am using Garmin City Navigator North America 2009.
I have no idea where the file is located that Mapsource nor Basecamp are getting this info from.

Boyd

Quote from: fredb38 on May 02, 2016, 03:26:38 PMI have no idea where the file is located that Mapsource nor Basecamp are getting this info from.

I would imagine it's an old map that you installed in Mapsource. Basecamp will see all of those. You can use GMTK to see what maps are installed and manage them: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

A gmapsupp.img file is completely different from the maps that are installed on your computer. That kind of file is only used by the GPS itself. Where did you get that file? Was it purchased as a download from Garmin or is it part of a lifetime map update subscription. If it's a subscription, you can use Garmin Express to download/install it on your computer.

If it was a download, you should be able to connect your GPS to your computer and Basecamp should let you use it as long as the GPS is connected. Alternately, you could create a Garmin folder at the root of a USB flash drive and copy the gmapsupp.img file there. Basecamp should also be able to access it as long as the flash drive is inserted.

fredb38

The file was downloaded from the internet. What type file do I need to update basecamp without having to plug something in. I can run basecamp now but only with the outdated files installed on my computer. Can I update my computer files and if so what do I need?

Boyd

When you say "downloaded from the internet", what does that mean? Did you purchase it from Garmin? If it is not a legally purchased map then we cannot discuss it here....

If it was purchased as a download from Garmin, then I have explained your only options above. When you purchase maps from Garmin as downloads, you are not given the files to install on your computer, only the map file for the GPS itself. But you can access the map by plugging the GPS or a flash drive copy into your computer. That is just the way Garmin has chosen to do things.

The only other possibiliy is to create a virtual device, as described here: http://www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html

fredb38

Tried the jump drive and it worked perfect. Basecamp picked it right up. Also tried the virtual drive but that was way over my head. Couldn't get it figured out. I guess I need the Virtual Drive for Dummies.