GPSFileDepot.com

Installed map 53 on win7 64b still can't install old maps

Started by efinley, January 02, 2014, 10:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efinley

I've read through many of the older posts here about win7 64b and the need to install map number 53 (gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/) first.  So #53 works and so does a recent Moab Trails 2013.  However I can't get any of the older maps to install including OR, CA or Hawaii.  Are there any other tricks to try?

I'm using Garmin BaseCamp 4.2.5 which I downloaded a couple days ago.

Thanks,
Eric

Boyd

Exactly what do you mean when you say you "can't get them to install". What happens when you run the installers? Try running GMTK and see what it reports: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

efinley

By install I mean the exe files appear to run fine but in basecamp only the my trails and Moab trails maps show up in the maps dropdown.  The other maps are not listed.  Make sense?

I'll try gmtk when I'm near that computer later today.

-Eric

-Oz-

I just installed the Hawaii Topo (map 42) on windows 8 64 bit without installing My Trails and it worked.  It appeared right below the Global Map on the list.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

efinley

Oz,
Thanks for pointing out that the HI map is newer, that is a very interesting data point.  Also interesting to note that if I go into control panel->uninstall software only Moab and My trails are listed as installed programs.  Also this might not be meaningful but I tried reinstalling all 3 other maps (running the exe file) and they appear to run fine without errors but I do notice that the screen with the the status bar appears to disappear at around the 80% mark.

Since the HI maps won't install either I'm guessing this isn't just related to the win7 64b issue.  Any other ideas?

Boyd,
Once I install GMTK what should I look for?  Does knowing that they don't appear in the list of installed programs tell me enough already?

-Eric

BobT

I doubt this has anything to do with it but the Moab map used Inno Setup Installer and not the NSIS installer.

Boyd

Quote from: efinley on January 03, 2014, 02:12:13 PMOnce I install GMTK what should I look for?

When you start the program it will scan all the maps you have installed and generate a list. If problems are found, they will be reported. If the maps were not actually installed, then they won't be on the list.

It sounds like they just aren't being installed however. Maybe you have some kind of anti-virus software that is blocking them? You could try disabling it and see what happens. On Windows however, I would make sure that my computer was disconnected from the internet before turning off protection.  ;)

efinley

How can I tell which setup installer is used by a given map?

Boyd

Honestly, it should make no difference to an end user. But when you run the installer, I think it will say what program created it.

efinley

OK I've been playing with this some more and I think I figured out the issue.  "My trails" and Moab both cause the windows security dialog box to pop up and ask if I want to allow this program to make changes to my computer.  The other 3 maps that I've tried and don't work do not cause this dialog to pop up.  Any ideas how to work around this issue?

Thanks again for all the help! :)

-Eric

popej

You can run install program as administrator - right click on icon and select run as administrator.

Second possibility is to change permissions to registry branch HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Garmin\Mapsource. This can be done with regedit program.

efinley

Right-click->Run as administrator solved the problem!  Thanks guys! :)