GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Colorado 400c only works with batteries

Started by RubRsidedown, January 14, 2013, 10:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubRsidedown

OK, the issue with my Garmin Colorado 400c is that it only works with batteries and NOT a power cord. The cause of the problem is this.(self inflicted)
  While snowmobiling this past weekend I took my Garmin along to log some new snowmobile trails, plugged into the 12v power accessory on my sled and away I went, worked great for some 100+ miles.... Until, I had a branch that was hanging in the trail hitting the GPS knocking it from the RAM mount (yes I hit it with some serious speed, 70+ mph), LUCKILY the cord held onto the GPS so I didn't lose it and my Wife didn't run it over with her sled.
After this fiasco I then realized the end of the cord was broken and I also realized later that internal plug for the power cord is also suspect due to the fact that I have tried another cord and also plugged it into my computer to upload my tracks and I get nothing (unless I wiggle the crap out of the connection.. It will come on for a second or two using this method)

SO, my question is this...
Can this unit be repaired and if so who can repair it?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff B  In Maine

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."

Boyd

AFAIK, only Garmin can repair. I don't think they will actually "repair", but will exchange for a refurb model at a standard price. However since the Colorado is such an old model, I wouldn't be surprised if they said it can't be replaced and instead offered you something like a refurbed Oregon - seems to me I have read similar stories.

But the only way to know for sure is to contact them and ask. Just realize that prices have gotten much lower since the Colorado was on the market. A number of retailers were blowing out Oregon 450's for $200 new over the holidays. So I would shop around to see the going rate for new and refurb models and use that as a yardstick to see whether any deal that Garmin offers is worth it.

Garmin does have the advantage however of transfering any of their map products to a new device. So, for example, if you had City Navigator on the Colorado they will transfer the unlock code to a replacement. Only Garmin can do that.

BobT

I had a similar thing happen to two Colorado's I had.  I use mine on an ATV.  The USB connector in the Colorado is not secured very well.  My first one quit communicating after about a year.  It turned out that the USB connector was very loose in the housing, I think this came from the USB cable just dangling and bouncing around.  I sent it back with $99 and they sent me a brand new one.  One year later the same thing started happening, as it was getting loose I tried to seal it in with epoxy but it was too late.  I would run on batteries and it was very iffy if I could communicate to download tracks.  I took Boyd's advice and upgraded to the Montana with no regrets.  I did read on advrider.com (they have a 400 page thread on the Montana) that you should get the rugged power cradle and not use the 12V power cord or you will be replacing because of the same problem the Colorado has.  The Montana's USB connector is much more solid than the Colorado but I think they will all fail with the powercord bouncing around as it does on an ATV, motorcycle, or sled.

RubRsidedown

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it.
I sent Garmin an email last night explaining the issue with the unit.
We'll see what they say.

THANKS again.
Jeff B  In Maine

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."

babj615

Quote from: RubRsidedown on January 15, 2013, 04:29:02 AM
Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it.
I sent Garmin an email last night explaining the issue with the unit.
We'll see what they say.

THANKS again.
You will have much better results if you call Garmin. Emails can go unanswered for long periods of time....
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Indrid Cold

Quote from: RubRsidedown on January 14, 2013, 10:34:58 AM
SO, my question is this...
Can this unit be repaired and if so who can repair it?
In the US or UK, all you need to do is visit the following:
https://my.garmin.com/rma/repair/repairLanding.htm

No need to wait for an email response or wait in a phone queue.