GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

NW Topos colors on Garmin 450 vs 550T

Started by Brad H, December 05, 2012, 07:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad H

I have installed NW TOPOS on an SD card and when I plug it in to my Garmin 450 the land color is green but if I plug it in to a 550T the land is white.  Any thoughts?  I tried putting the two units side by side to confirm all settings are the same - they are.  The Garmin TOPO included with the 550T is DISABLED.

Boyd

Go into the advanced map settings and note whether shaded relief and landcover are enabled. If they are disabled on one of the devices, you would get the white background.

Brad H

Unfortunately both units look just like the images that you provided (VERY nice by the way).  Any other thoughts?

Seldom

Maybe try recreational profile instead of something else? IIRC, white land is marine.

Boyd

Also, on the 450 make sure that the basemap is disabled in the map info. It contains shaded terrain that may be bleeding through the topo map.

Brad H

AH HA!  I disabled the Digital Globe on the 450 and now the land is WHITE just like the 550T.  I re-enabled it and it is still white  :( So instead of fixing the 550T I killed the 450  :(

I disabled and re-enabled the DG on the 550T and it is always white.

I guess I can live with it but I did like the green.  On the plus side my girlfriend is no longer upset that "mine looks better than hers"  <sigh>

Boyd

The "Digital Globe" is a sample of Garmin BirdsEye satellite imagery and should be disabled. You might also want to delete any .jnx files that you find in the \Garmin\Birdseye folder (unless you have actually subscribed to Birdseye and downloaded imagery).

Brad H

OK I got the color back on mine (450) by enabling the Worldwide DEM Basemap.  Then I got the green land on the 550T by enabling the TOPO US 100K.  So do I infer from all this that the NW TOPO from Switchbacks does NOT have shading and that land should be white?

Thanks for all the help!

babj615

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador