GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Routable Maps?

Started by NoBite, November 05, 2012, 08:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBite

I have downloaded some wonderful trail maps (My Trails) from the File Depot. I have these maps now in my Oregon 450 and in Base Camp. However, when I try to make Routes using some of the trails from this map, I cannot do so because this map is not Routable.

Are there Routable versions of these maps available? Or, does someone have a work-around so I can use the maps to make Routes?

I can bring the maps up in my Oregon, of course. I am using these trails for horseback riding.

Thanks!

Seldom

AFAIK there are no routable versions of My Trails available.  Desert Southwest is routable, and has some trails, but it's coverage is limited to southern UT, northern AZ, and a little NV, CA, CO, and NM.

There is no way to create a routable map without compiling the data.  See tutorial.

But you can always use MapSource or BaseCamp to trace a route on a trail, and send that to your GPSr.

NoBite

You have peeked my interest. I have the My Trails map loaded in Base Camp. Many of the Tracks that I created overlay some of the trails from My Trails. But, when I try to create a Route, the route either defaults to straight lines if I have My Trails selected, or to roads if I have Topo 24K selected. I have not yet understood how to use the trails (except for Tracks I stored) to create a Route. If you know of a tutorial, please advise! Thanks!!

Boyd

As has been said here and also in your thread at GPSReview, if a map does not contain routing data then you can't use it to generate a route. It just can't be done.

I think what Seldom has in mind is drawing a track yourself. Basecamp help is available here:
http://static.garmincdn.com/basecamp/en/Default.htm

This is the applicable topic. You would have to manually trace the entire trail from the map on the screen.

QuotePlotting a Track

You can plot a track by clicking points on the map or by drawing your track on the map. Then you could convert that track to a route

To plot a track:
Click My Collection, or click a list in the My Collection.
Click File > New > Track to select the New Track tool.
Click points on the map to create a track between them, or click and drag to draw a track.
To save the track to the Library, or to a selected device that supports creating tracks, right-click or press Esc on your keyboard.

QuoteCreating a Route Based on a Track
You can create a route based on a track in the Library and Devices area.

Click a track in the Library and Devices area.
Click File > New > Direct Route from Selected Track.
If necessary, deselect the Choose the number of points automatically check box, and enter the maximum number of via points you want included in the route.
Click OK.

The route appears as a colored line on the map. You can change the route properties or edit the route.

Alternately, you could create a route the same way (by clicking on points along the trail). You will hit some limits here though, because routes can only contain (IIRC) 200 points while tracks can contain 10,000 points.

QuoteCreating a Route on the Map
You can create a route by clicking points on the map or by drawing your route on the map.

Click My Collection, or click a list in the My Collection.
Click File > New > Route to select the New Route tool.
Click the starting point for your route. The route details appear in the information area.
Click to add points to the route.
When you are finished, save the route by pressing ESC on your keyboard or by right-clicking.
The route appears as a colored line on the map. You can change the route properties or add points to the route.

I don't use routes very often myself, but I suspect the best way to do this is to create a track and send that to your GPS. You can then use track navigation on the GPS and I think that will get around the 200 point limit for routes.